Jack And The Gold Rush

“Jack, come on were going to the art gallery.” mum called
“Not another trip to the boring old art gallery”
Said jack “come on, hurry up quickly into the car.”
Said mum. Jack grumbled as got into the car.
“I’ll wait in the car while you go in.” remarked jack.
All of a sudden we were there my mum got out of the car the next thing I knew I was near a creek. I looked up I saw strange people dipping a steel bowl in and out of some muddy water, old houses that looked at least 200 years old. They were built out of logs with a dirt floor, yuck! There was a woman standing outside one of the houses in an old fashion dress with a bucket and a sort of paddle. I assumed she was washing her clothes. I kept walking where am I? I locked up and I saw a blood soaked towel hanging outside an old wooden house. Drip, drip, I could hear blood dripping and the clang of knifes at work. I shakily creep up, my hear is pounding. I peer in and I see a man holding a very sharp knife. There was a man in the chair sitting next to the man with the knife. I run in pleading with the man to stop I’m screaming at him but al I hear is everybody laughing hysterically. The boy sitting next to his father is telling me his father just getting a haircut and starts introducing himself huh? “The boy asks me where are your folks and my name” I was speechless. I was so shocked all I got out was baby noises but eventually I mumble out Jake and I don’t know. The boy asked me if I was going to the consort tonight. No I said. “Do you have any money” “do you know how to pan and have a gold licence.” “NO!” I shouted what is panning anyway? I asked. It’s a way of getting gold. (The boy buys me a licence and teaches me how to pan for gold) Thank for teaching me but can we stop now I’m getting tired. (The boy starts to cough) are you ok I asked? Yes I’m fine do you ,cough, want to have a drink the boy said yes of course. The boy hands me a glass of wine and starts shaking do you want to see where my father works the boy asks yes so the boy takes me there here he works in the mill crushing rocks for gold then puts the dirt in tis pot puts mercy on it and gets gold from that the boy says but mercury’s dangerous the boy doesn’t seam to hear and asks me if I want to stay over YES That night the boy dies. My mum calls me hurry up come in the car. Realising I just looking at paintings of the gold rush.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!