Ocean

2/5/12, 8:37pm
The boat drifted along the calm waves, building up and tumbling over only to repeat this cycle once again. I lay quietly staring up at the stars. The moon, bright and full, seemed to sooth me, making me feel lighter than a feather yet stronger than a thousand men. There was still no sight of land or food. All the canned tuna was still inside the boat but I refused to eat it. I am not the biggest fan of seafood therefore finding food in this situation would be difficult but I would try my hardest. The moon looked tired signalling me to go to sleep.

3/5/12, 7:04am
I awake, with the waves crashing slightly harder than last night. I hear a loud honking noise in the distance. I turn, only to see a large ship about 800 metres away. I take out the siren stored inside the bobbing raft. I put it up to my mouth and yell. “HEY! IM OVER HEAR! HEY! PLEASE RESCUE ME!” The big monster of a ship turns away heading north. I do not give up though. “PLEASE, ANYONE, I NEED HELP! PLEASE!” It does not seem to hear me. I am beginning to lose hope. I should of never agreed to the family holiday that giant cruise was horrible. The food was sloppy, the beds were dusty, the rooms were tiny. Still I should have never left.

4/5/12, 11:26am
My spear is only millimetres above the water, a school of fish only millimetres below. I wait silently, peering into the crystal clear sea. “1, 2, 3 go!” The blade cracks through the water penetrating one of the fish beneath it. I snatch it out of the water into the boat. It wriggles around for a good five minutes before slowing down and then stoping. I grab a lighter and some wood which have been drying in the sun since yesterday. They are no longer damp, therefore once again flammable. I start to burn the wood and a little flame appears. I grab some aluminium foil and carefully slide it under the wood to stop the boat from catching on fire. I hover the fish over the fire with my spear so that it cooks. I dig in. It’s not the most delicious meal in the world but it satisfies. Once I’ve finished I try again. By the end of the day I’m full and lay down, once again staring at the stars. My confidence is regained.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!