Banana Mania

It has just dawned in the tropics; monkeys in the woods at the edge of the banana plantations were just waking up and foraging for their breakfasts as usual. There had been a cyclone recently, which wiped out almost the entire banana plantation in this area. As bananas were scarce; the remaining banana trees were guarded with high security, making it impossible for the monkeys to access the bananas.
A bus came into view, as it cornered slowly the winding road through the woods. It had a great big banana billboard plastered across it, catching the attention of the monkeys, as they had not eaten bananas for months. They followed the bus into town, thinking there would be bananas to be had.
Edith woke up with a jolt. She had heard an awkward screeching sound, so she went downstairs and peered through the window. The sight was not to be expected though, there were monkeys everywhere!
“Dad! Come over here! You won’t believe what’s outside!”Edith shouted.
Dad, sleeping on the couch, suddenly woke up.
“W-what is it?”Dad asked sleepily.
“There are monkeys running outside everywhere!” she shouted again, a little anxious this time. Dad peered out the window, in disbelief. Indeed, there were monkeys everywhere! Some were clutching bananas in both hands and biting the top of the bananas off without peeling them. Some of them were running around the backyards, including their own, helping themselves to whatever fruits they could find in the neighbouring fruit trees. They were also messing up the gardens, pulling plants from their pots, and shoving it in their mouths along with the bananas. Some daring ones, even climbed up the pergola and the window frames.
“We ought to tell someone!” bellowed Edith. They called local TV station, reporting this mania.
The news crew came in record time and stationed themselves outside Edith’s home, blocking access to the road.
A fruit delivery truck came around the corner with considerable speed, unaware of the mayhem just ahead, swerved and turned in its attempt to avoid the monkeys, toppled over and spilled its goods all over the neighbourhood.
Monkeys came running from all directions, helping themselves to the feast! The monkeys were right, the billboard delivered them a hearty breakfast after all!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!