Never Give Up!

This is a true story of my pretty Rosella bird-'Rocky'.
In the year 2010, we moved ten houses down the road, into our new house and Rocky moved with us too. Everyone in the old and new neighbourhood, was familiar with Rocky's melodious whistle, as she would always respond, when whistled to. Dad whistled to her often, and would be greeted by her whistling back melodiously.
One day, I accidently left her cage door open ,and Rocky flew onto a tall gum tree in the bush reserve right behind my house.I screamed and cried ,hoping that Rocky would come back to the house.I was worried that she would be attacked by other birds as my bird was domesticated and can't live by herself in the wild.I was frightened of what could happen to her..
There was nothing that we could do but whistle to her and hear her unique whistle calling back for help.
I couldn't sleep that night as Rocky was on my mind all the time.
For that whole week, we ate pizza everynight because Mum and Dad were busy trying to get Rocky down from the tree. They contacted the bird rescue people, but were told they only help injured wild birds, not pets .They even called the Firebrigade! The firemen were very kind but their ladder couldn't reach that high.
Everyday we tried a new idea, like trying to climb the tree or tying sticks together to reach her. The neighbourhood was very kind, they would call out to Rocky while I was away at school,to make her feel safe.
We kept Rocky's favourite treats in her cage, hoping she would come down to grab some.
At the end of the week, we got an excited call from our neighbours and they said, "Rocky's outside your old house"! Dad asked, 'How do you know that's Rocky?"
"Because of her unique whistle", they replied.
Dad rushed to the old house with the cage. He found Rocky on the front lawn. Dad walked her on to a stick and put her in the cage. Rocky was back!
I think it was amazing that my bird remembered her old house, even after three years!
I still can't believe that I nearly lost my favourite pet forever, and miraculously have her back.I think its because I didn't lose hope and I didn't give up.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!