We Fall

I struggle though the thick mud towards a rotting fence post. Clambering upon it to escape. I stand. Searching. A black silhouette lingers behind my decrepit house. It threatens to collapse in every gust of wind. I’m on a tight rope. Walking cautiously along the fence towards the large shape. My gumboots squelch as I jump down off the fence. It watches me with alerted eyes as I creep towards it. The figure approaches me. It’s long black mane runs wildly in the wind. I hold my hands out showing that I’m not a threat. The pinto searches me trying to find the apple I had hidden in my pocket.
‘Ollie’, I call, coaxing him back into the paddock.

I had just closed the gate and was stopped by a mouth-watering smell drifting from the open kitchen window. As I rush towards the house I hear mother ring the bell, signalling the breakfast was ready. I swing the door open, closing it softly behind me.
‘Hazel’, mum insists.
‘Coming’
The bright morning sun gleams though the peeling window. I invite myself to some pancakes and head back outside.

I head towards my tree house it is my only escape. The breaking wood ladder guards the entrance. A bright red sign hangs on a rusty nail stating that no one was allowed to enter. I climb up, grabbing the railing for support. My cash register still rests upon the baby pink table. As I sit the realisation that I am in the middle of nowhere becomes clear. I remember when I was younger I used to always play up hear, but I was alone.

I begin to walk towards the paddock and notice a monstrous black crow perched on the gate.
‘Ollie’
He gallops over, swinging his head. The crow escapes into the sky. I walk in making sure the gate was closed behind me. Ollie follows me into the stables, I place my hand into my pocket giving him an apple. I try to reach for his tack, having to step closer. I tack him up and lead him towards the gate.
‘Hazel be careful’
‘Yes mum’, I reply

We head towards the woods, the smell of pine fills my nose. I steer Ollie onto the trail, he prances in excitement. The trail leads me deep into the forest. Rock and pebbles begin to take over the path. Fear begins to fill me but the odd ray of sunlight comforts me. A crow swoops in front of me, could it be the same one. I begin to turn back. Seeing the house faintly ahead. As I kick Ollie on a weak rustle startles him. A man wearing a balaclava jumps out of the bushes. He has a running chainsaw in his hands threating to use it. Ollie bolts I manage to hold on. The grass whips across his legs. I yank on the rains, attempting to stop him. We fall.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!