Legend Unearthed

He was confused. Didn't know which way to go. Gasping. Cold sieging his body. Pale and diminished. Parched mouth and a brawling stomach. He was lost and alone. Very alone...
The first day at camp had come to an end and the world was at a great distance from his lifeless arms. Desperately, with extensive predicament, he adjusted his flooded eyes in hope and search for a hint of life. The absence of light acted upon his sole and vision. The tall, lingering shadows slowly crept across his skin; like poison. Again, that portion of life still existing was polluted when the stillness of the night continued undisturbed.
Hours passed by and nothing occurred, apart from the consolidated endeavour for survival. Suddenly, a beacon of light washed away the darkness. It was the moon at its stage of aptitude. The perfectly round and adequately situated ball of radiation illustrated something. But was that something fortune or infelicity?
For many centuries, the legend regarding werewolves and full moons were considered an entertaining story; a mere joke. Yet, on that night, the world was put to silence and its secrets unveiled. Unfortunately, the boy had a different view towards the message the moon was conveying. He calculated his opportunity to consume and utilize the light as a heavenly sent blessing. Escaping the firm, merciless grasp of peril and entering the welcoming, warm arms of freedom, was planted within the core of his sanity. With this, a precipitous surge of adrenaline made its way into his dry veins and gifted him capability to take one last stand. It was his solely chance to fearlessly face the enemy and fight back; even when success had a faint taste.
He extended his emaciated fingers towards the tarnished soil, searching for a miraculous elevation. When that was discovered, the feet were assigned to build the prime foundation for his lift. One after another, he was finally upright and standing. But the weakness could be easily noticed through the frequent, potent shaking of the limbs, streams of sweat pouring downwards parallel with the dullness of his figure. The eyes, on the other hand, portrayed depth, focus and unique determination. Ready to seek the outlying path ahead of him.
With all his might, he set off into the heart of the woods. His mind and heart racing a million miles an hour with many thoughts and feelings associated with it. Trepidation, anxiety and, most significantly, the matter of life and death would not place him to ease. Although it was a calm, still night, a soft, spine chilling breath of air collided with his drenched back, woke him up and the reality flashed before his eyes. It was impending, intimidating and bitter. A heart demoralising howl broke the interminable silence of the woods. Staggered, he inspected his surroundings and caught a glimpse of the source. His worst nightmare was revealed; the supernatural creatures of the full moon were, on that night, considered evident; half man, half wolf.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!