Rail Quest

“Ahh the rails are falling apart. I have to get out of here.”

Let’s go back…..
“Okay mum. I’m ready to go on my first rail.”
“Are you sure Billy? It is a dangerous travel route,” said mum
“Yeah,” I say as I jump out the door. “Oh yeah I’m ready… Oops, forgot my rail grinding shoes.” I run back inside. Which one should I pick: beginner, speed, power or stunt? I will just pick all and wear the beginner at first. I put on the beginner shoes with the best amount of grip. The shoe is brown, has steal with sharp spikes to grip rails.
Then I rush out the door to the rail near my house. Time to go. I jump on the rail and the shoes grip it. I start to ride it, watching all the trees and houses go past and I think this is way faster than on foot.
I am so excited I don’t watch which rails I’m going on and find myself lost. I got off at an old mine. “Hello. Anyone there? Oh well. If no-one’s here they can’t see you talk to yourself.” I decide to swap to speed shoes even though I have only just started, in case the mine falls apart.
Wow this mine is new. So is this rail (wheels going squeak squeak). What’s that sound? I crawl behind a rock and hear, “Mahmah. All these rare rocks will be ours.”
“But boss what if someone finds us moving all these diamonds, rubies, emeral...”
“Shut up and dig. They think this mine is out and no-one uses those rails. They are starting to get old. Mahmah.” I thought I’d better leave when I turn (clank) “Oops! I knocked over a pickaxe.”
“Hey. Who’s that? Get him dummy or he will tell the cops.”
“Okay.” I run to the rails and jump. “Uhh. Should I destroy the rails with the bomb boss?”

“Yes dummy. We will think of an escape route later.” BOOM!! Smoke goes everywhere.
“Ahh the rails are falling apart. I have to get out of here!” The speed shoes have less grip so they slide faster. “Whoa.” I am trying to keep my footing but in speed shoes it’s hard. I fall off onto the rail below, a red rail to warn people this is the last safety rail before you fall to your death. BANG! BANG! I hear the start of an argument. “He’s too far to...” I try to stop and swap my shoes so I can get home safely but I fail and fall… “Oww my head a hospital?”
“Oh he’s awake miss…”
“Why were you wearing speed? You are a beginner. I hid all your other shoes,” said mum.
“Mum there were thieves …”
“Don’t be ridicules. You hit your head…” “Miss give him room to recover” (kicks her out).
My friend enters and gives me basic electric shoes. “Try not to go on too many adventures.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!