War Torn

It’s 5am. I’m lying in my bed, eyes staring at the crisp white ceiling. Waiting … waiting for time to pass. My father is out in town doing chores, on his return we will be leaving to venture in the neighbouring forest.
I continue to wait. Somehow time seems to be passing more slowly than before.
TICK, TICK, TICK
Three hours pass and still my dad is not home. I begin to worry. Maybe there was an accident; maybe his boss was not pleased with his tips and made him stay on at work.
I turn to the window and my heart stops for an instant. Below, hundreds of soldiers march past our beautiful garden destroying our bright, peach coloured petunias. My jaw drops to a level I only thought possible for anacondas and my face drains of all colour. I fall to the floor, alone.
I come to my senses, when the room is bursting with the blinding light of the mid-day sun. I lift my hand to shield the light and quickly turn away. My olive coloured skin is stained with blood; my hand has a deep gash- opened from a pocket knife that I stupidly left open on my bedroom floor. Slowly, I regain enough strength to stand up. My head is throbbing from the pain of hitting my head on the floor’s mahogany planks.
I stagger into the bathroom to retrieve some band aids for my damaged hand. My hand reaches for the draw but a deafening sound stops me. It is a gunshot; I had heard it many times before- when a sheep had to be quickly put down or when a race started at the neighbouring track. Swiftly, I swing around and run for my room. I need somewhere to hide. I don’t know where the shot came from but it sounded too close for comfort.
I grab my heavy, khaki bag and my sleeping bag and jump through the window. Forgetting my injured hand, I run towards the dark forest in the distance. Sprinting, I cross our fields filled with the fresh, autumn crops and over the steep hills. The forest is heavy, auburn trunks cast eerie shadows on the leaf littered ground. I follow the rough path, brambles hanging over their boundaries sting me. My heart feels like it is beating out of my chest. When I was young I had been told spooky stories of lost adventurers in this forest, none ended with the hero returning.
Eventually I reach a clearing. To my left is the river is a chocolate coloured sweep of water, to my right a thick gathering of bushes and shrubs showing off their prickly thorns and tangling roots. A sudden tiredness envelops me and I have no energy to continue on my journey. I fall to the damp cold ground. Is this all I have to live for in my war torn life?

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!