Camp Terror

“Have you heard the story of the five missing children?” whispered Mike in his scariest voice. “It was at this very campsite that they disappeared. Some say you can still hear the screams of the lost children, and some people think it’s a creature that makes horrible scratching noises just before someone disappears. Sometimes, when you peer into the woods, you can see glowing red eyes staring back!”
“That’s enough of that silly story! It’s time for bed” said Mr Jacobs, the year 5 co-ordinator, sternly.
The next morning after breakfast time, Tom, Zac, Aimee and Andy went off to do fishing. “I bet you don’t even want to touch the scary worms Aimee!” teased Zac. “Oh you’re so immature!” And with that, Aimee stormed off downstream.
Not long after, they heard a faint scream. “Ha, ha! It’s probably Aimee touching a worm!”
Mrs Johnson came walking towards them “Does anyone need any help here?”
“Aimee probably does!” laughed Zac looking in her direction. “Oh, no! Aimee is gone!”
Later that afternoon, when they were alone, they whispered nervously to each other. “Do you think it was the creature?” whispered Zac.
“Nah, don’t be ridiculous!” said Tom, “as if “, trying to convince himself.
Just then, Mrs Rigby, the parent helper, came up behind them. “You haven’t seen Mrs Johnson have you, boys? She was meant to be here helping set up the campfire.” She said sounding confused.
“No, not since this morning.” Said Andy
“Oh, no!” said Tom after Mrs Rigby had left, “you don’t think it was the creature, do you?”
“It might be.” worried Tom.
Everyone hurried to dinner, and sat down to talk. The food was steaming hot, but the cook was nowhere to be seen.
“The cook is gone!” whispered Zac to Tom. “Which means the story is true!” said Tom sounding very scared.
Just then, they heard a scratching sound and muffled screams. The three friends looked at each other in terror, and sprinted straight to the teacher’s cabin and hid.
“The story is definitely true!” whispered Zac shivering.
“What are we going to do?” whimpered Andy.
Mrs Johnson burst through the door, which made the three boys scream.
“What are you boys doing in here?” she boomed.
“No, Mrs Johnson, the real question is what you are doing here?” said Zac surprised. “We thought the creature got you!”
“Where were you?” said the three boys together.
“I was just at the shops getting marshmallows for tonight’s campfire.” she replied with a confused look on her face.
“What about Aimee?” asked Tom?
“She twisted her ankle and is resting in her dorm.”
“And the cook?” asked Andy.
“He accidently locked himself in the pantry.” replied Mrs Johnson.
“That explains the scratching and screams at dinner!” said Tom.
“Sorry, Mrs Johnson, we were scared it was the creature!”
“That’s okay, just go to bed now and get some sleep.” she replied understandingly.
So that’s exactly what they did... under their blankets.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!