The Flight Of EH54

Nobody knew there was more to come. Planes were indestructible, or so I thought. I never thought that maybe something this extreme would happen. I didn't want to cause commotion in the passengers, so I never told them what was coming, what the biggest event in Scotish history was going to be. And I never had the chance to, because this is the story of how I died.

I turn the wheel with great force, to swerve around an incoming object. I have no idea what it was, but it didn't hit us. Majority of the passengers gasp as a continue to fly the plane towards England. My co-pilot, Sam, is resting on the couch behind me. He wasn't feeling to well and it was getting close to 1 AM so I told him to rest. He obeyed, and has been sleeping for the past 10 minutes. I focus my thoughts back on flying the plane towards England. This is the first time I have flown a plane with over 300 passengers, and I'm incredibly scared. I have this small conscious inside of my telling me something will go wrong, that I will do something wrong. But I continue to fly with no trouble until 1:20, when I see an incoming light. It looks very similar to the previous object I narrowly missed, but that went the opposite direction, so it cant be. I gently move to the right to dodge the object, that is currently about a KM away, but the object changes course, towards the plane. I send an alert to the tower
“Object coming from the South, 1 KM away, changes course with the Airplane. Do I alert the passengers?”
“Do not alert passengers, stay calm and continue changing course gently and swiftly. We will track the object and alert you ASAP.” They reply.
So I do exactly that. I set my mind on succeeding this mission, because if I don't, and the object hits our plane, over 300 lives, gone. I work for the next 5 minutes, fluently and silently, until I am alerted of our current status.
“This object is some kind of robotic machine that has caught your signal and continuously follows you. It will not move or change course and we have no idea how or why somebody would make this. Continue your job, wake your Co-Pilot, and alert passengers of incoming turbulence. Stay calm.” As I yell at Sam to get up, and fill him in on the past half hour, he nods and gets to work straight away by alerting passengers.
“We may be experiencing a slight amount of turbulence, please stay calm and make sure your seat belt in secure, Thank you.”
Sam continues examining the object as I sway the plane from side to side. The robot is currently 500 meters away and Sam and I are starting to worry. A red light begins to flash. The warning light. Danger ahead.
“This is it mate! It's the end for us. Alert passengers and brace yourself.” I tell Sam. He nods silently as I see a small tear make its way down his cheek. He knows this is it. He just can't accept it.
“It'll be okay.” I tell him with little faith in what I'm saying. But he just nods, wipes the tear from his cheek with the back of his hand, and alerts the passengers.
“I'm sorry to all of you 300 people on board, but we are about to be hit by an unknown object and I want you all to brace yourselves. Before you ask, the speed of this object really is insurmountable and there is a 90% chance that we will die. I'm sorry. Thank you.” There is a moment of silence as if someone had just told a bad joke, before all the screams and yelling begins. I look at Sam, then we both look at the robot. About 20 meters to go. We set a count down. It should take about 1 minute.
59, 58, 57
“Goodbye Mitch.” Sam says with a quiver on his lip.
“See ya later, Sam. Goodbye.” I reply slowly.
5, 4, 3, 2
I look at Sam and nod. We smile and close our eyes as we disappear into darkness.
1.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!