Leaving The Castle

It was a warm night, the cool breeze blowing off the lake little relief from the overbearing heat that radiated off the dusty ground. A full moon, as bright as a shiny penny, watched over Greta as she stole away from the castle, her hair glinting silver in the moonlight and her bare feet padding softly across the barren earth.

As she slipped into the dark cover of the trees, she looked back over her shoulder and raised her chin in a final farewell to the life she was leaving. The large hulking building stood like a mountain over the distant lake, its waters glazed and silent. In the front window of the castle, Greta could see the faint glow of an oil lamp reflecting up on the glass pane. She shuddered and pulled her woolen cloak closer around her shoulders for warmth. It wouldn't be long before they came looking for her, and she needed to be as far away as possible when that happened.

Stealing one last glance behind her, she dashed into the pine forest, the moist wind from the lake nipping at her heels. The branches grasped at her clothing as she ran past, ripping holes in her petticoat and whipping her bare legs. The rough pine needles tugged at her fair hair as she ducked beneath the lower-hanging branches and took a sharp turn to the right, where the ground began a steep incline up to what she knew as The Forbidden Hill.

At the crest of the hill she finally slowed to a stop, ducking her head and resting her hands on her knees as she regained her breath. Never before had she been required to run so fast in her life, and the feeling both thrilled and terrified her.

When her breathing had returned to normal, she straightened up and looked around, casting her eye across the mountain range that was laid out in front of her like a map, each mountain like a stepping stone, and each step another one closer to her destination.

There was the lake in the distance; its still waters like liquid silver under the light of the moon, and beyond that the castle, standing tall and silent apart from the small glimmer of light that still flickered at one of the windows. Greta, satisfied that she still had time, continued up the crest of the hill at a slower pace, allowing herself a few precious minutes of rest before they should come after her.

Suddenly, just as she began to descend down the other side, she heard the blaring of a trumpet, playing the tune that meant something was wrong. Greta gasped and started to run. They were after her! She could only hope now that it would take a while for the search party to assemble, or else she was doomed.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!