Headlights

Every passing minute he was there. I felt his everlasting presence everywhere like I was attached to him on a leash. His deafening yell, pale skin and his vengeful eyes followed me wherever I went. In the morning, I would hear his deafening yell. He would scream death threats at me until my ears started ringing. During the afternoon, when I was walking home from work, he would follow me home. Sometimes he would follow so close I could feel his cold and husky breath crawling down my neck. I could not see him but I felt him behind me. Finally, at night, he delved into the deepest regions of my subconscious as I slept, turning cheer filled dreams into the most dark and vile of nightmares. I begged him to stop. He responded by growing a wicked grin across his face and he stared me down with his black unforgiving eyes without uttering a single word. Despite his silence I knew that this was just the beginning. When I finally discovered the true identity of my tormentor I felt an overwhelming sensation of guilt. I began to visit his grave begging him to forgive for hitting him with my car. I told him that I did not see him crossing the street and that I was not trying to kill him. He never listened, sometimes he laughed at me. I did not know if I could continue to live my life in this state. His burning hatred seemed to grow every passing day. Eventually, I could not sleep at night nor could I even leave my own home. My understanding of reality was lost forever while insanity infected my mind like a terrible disease. Worst of all, I would think I am having a nightmare only to come to the horrifying realisation that I am really awake and that my nightmare would never end. This continued until one horrible evening. I was returning home from work after a long shift on a cold night. I saw him again only this time he had blood smeared all over him with his entrails poured out of his stomach sending an unbearable fear into my soul. I began to hear his thunderous voice inside of my head again creating a pounding headache that felt like drills boring into my skull. My heart began to start thumping in my chest almost as if it was going to explode. I panic and run without a second thought. I looked back and saw him chasing me screaming MURDERER! I screamed and ran even faster. His voice began to get louder and louder as he was getting closer. He catches up to me and pushes me hard onto the pavement. I roll onto the road as his voice grew louder while my head felt like it was going to burst. I look up. I did not see him anywhere. Instead, I was greeted with the blinding headlights of a speeding car.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!