Sandstorm

I was roaming along the desert to find my camel that had gone missing last night, when I noticed something different. I saw the sky turning purple. Crows sang and the wind was raging and fierce. I lost my sight due to the howl of the wind. The sand burnt the soul of my feet. It felt like lava bubbling and over-flowing a volcano.
The sand hit me like stinging needles. It felt like soldiers in armour. It felt like fire licking my legs. It felt like agony, pain. The dominance of its arms wrapped around me and held me tight. I was apprehensive.
A cold icy tear ran down the side of my cheek. I kept walking on. The sand blistered my hands as I held them up in front of my face. “Help!” I muttered under my breath. I could barely see where my feet were taking me. One step in front of the other.
The sound of wind pierced my ears. I knew I was troubled. Injured. Thinking my last thoughts. I felt captured as if I were in jail. I was now standing on the balls of my feet.
My eyes were half closed, squinting. But my voice was restless. I kept screaming. Nobody would hear me even if I tried. My voice was carried by the wind. I threw myself on the ground. My throat tickled. I opened it again to yell, but nothing came out.
I lay there. My legs burning. My heart thumped, like horses racing. I closed my eyes. They again watered up like taps. Suddenly the wind calmed down. The howling stopped. The sand stopped turning. The fear of my life ending had stopped.
I struggled to my feet .The crows soared away. My heart stopped racing. The burning on my knees started to fade away. I rubbed my eyes, opening them. No more commotion, nothing.
The sun crept up from behind a sand dune. I smiled. Brushing the sand off me I decided to head back. I stumbled towards the camp site. I could just see the tips of the tents standing out in the distance.
I followed the beaming light home. Before dark I had arrived back to the campsite. I jumped into a cold chilled water hole. I ached all over. The blisters cooled. Finally I was back. Home again.
My mother wrapped me up in a towel. She kissed my forehead. I could feel her tenderly love. My adventure was over!
Now growing older I realise the situation I was in. I had never found my camel but I remembered every second of that day.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!