Born To Be Odette

Excellence Award in the 'The Text Generation 2014' competition


All eyes would soon be on her as she would step out onto the stage, the loneliest yet most exciting place in the whole world. The thought made her fall out of her en pointe position as she waited side stage.
“Okay, Effie. Yes, it’s your first dance and it’s Swan Lake but you’re in the company. You made it this far, so you can’t stop now.” Ms Raine said.
“I’m confident. It’s just, you know . . . its Odette. I don’t want to make her look bad.” Effie told her, warming up her pointe shoes.
“You were born to be Odette.” Ms Raine said, leaving to go and sit in the audience.
As the lights and music turned on she glided across the stage, taking her starting position. Her beautiful feathery head piece glittered and shone like she was a swan queen.
When the orchestral music started she danced like no one else could, as her tutu caught the light, her legs and arms extended in graceful lines. She was born to be Odette. She finished the first act and, coming off stage, everyone cheered her on. “You were amazing.” Ms Raine said, tearing up.
Several dances passed in a blur and then the she was up to the Odile act. The terrifying rumbling music came on. She saw her partner in the dark distance.
Odile was Odette’s enemy who tricked the prince to love her. She danced in his arms like they were meant for each other. Somehow she was both Odile, the dark swan, and Odette.
After the whole ballet of Swan Lake finished she came out to bow. Nearly everyone had tears in their eyes which made her cry. Old legends. As she got changed everyone congratulated her on the performance. What she didn’t know was Amy Harris, her idol, was in the audience.
Knock, knock. Effie opened the door. “Oh my! Hello.” Effie said as her face lit up.
“You were amazing.” Amy said.
“Thank you so much. That means a lot, especially from you.” Effie said.
“And for a first performance being Swan Lake: incredible!” Amy said, waving a goodbye and leaving. Just then her two friends came in.
“Congratulations, you were amazing. See, you even got complimented by Amy!” Veronica said.
“Yes, you were fantastic.” Helena said.
“Thank you Helena, it was a very special chance to get the part of Odette: it’s a one in a lifetime chance.”
The next morning, during class, the director of the Australian Ballet came to the lesson to speak to Effie. “You did an amazing job. Moved me to tears,” Mr Johnson said.
“Thank you! ” Effie said smiling.
“I have one more thing to congratulate you with.” Mr Johnson said, pulling out a contract. “Congratulations on becoming the youngest company ballerina.” Mr Johnson said. Effie’s smile grew.
She had nailed Odette and had become the youngest company dancer, but Effie knew that this was just the start of a difficult but exhilarating life journey.




FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!