Let Me Out

Excellence Award in the 'The Text Generation 2014' competition

Smashing his fist into the door, Ace growled in anger and agonising pain. His head spun like he’d just gotten off a rollercoaster.
The room had only one opening, wide enough for the full moon to glare down. Glowering at his surroundings, Ace fell to the freezing floor.
It was time, but it couldn’t happen here in front of all the cameras.
He let his anger out on the door, which remained secure, mocking his current lack of strength.
Cora raced past police officers to reach the front desk. She was Ace’s friend and unlike him she was human, no supernatural blood whatsoever, and she had to get him out of this mess. Nobody could see him turn. Coming to a halt at the front desk, Cora took a deep breath before she spoke.
“Ace Pierceton, I need to see him,” she pleaded.
“Guardian?” the officer asked.
“No,” Cora replied.
“Then I can’t help you, sorry.”
Cora pointed to a screen, “But look at him!” Ace was banging his fist into the walls, desperate for a way out.
Ace snarled as sweat trickled from his forehead while his hands trembled. Ace lifted his head and howled at the moon. Feeling his fingers becoming longer and sharper, he hid them in a fist as the thick, dark fur sprout down his arm. With hair crawling across his back, he knew he had to hide, but it was to no avail, the cameras were still watching.
Cora was worried, her hands quivered. Her foot unconsciously tapped the floor as she grew impatient.
“What’s wrong with him?” the officer frowned curiously.
Without thinking, Cora responded, “He’s claustrophobic! If…if he stays in there for too long he’ll go crazy, just look at him,” she pointed at the screen again.
The officer looked at Ace shaking uncontrollably, then turned back to Cora.
“I told you, he’s claustrophobic,” she groaned with a hint of irritation in her voice.
“That doesn’t explain it, he’s been in there for hours,” he replied anxiously.
Cora groaned in exasperation.
Turning wasn’t meant to be painful, but in a situation like this, it was excruciating. Crying his heart out to the loathing moon, he howled louder and louder until he couldn’t howl any longer. Licking his teeth, he found they were sharper. This wasn’t going to be pretty. Feeling as though the walls were closing in on him, he clawed at them like his life depended on it. Ace was slowly losing his self-control. As his eyes turned brilliant gold, he charged at the door, again and again.
“LET ME OUT!” he roared in fury.
“He’s been in there long enough!” Cora pleaded, tears welling in her eyes. Please there is no more time! Looking at Ace then back to the police officer in front of her she knew it was too late.
Ace finally allowed the transformation to take place and revelled in the freedom that it brought.
Wiping her tears away, Cora sighed, “Well I’m all out of excuses.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!