Campdraft

"I can remember it..... I am reliving it" I said happily. It was a not so normal day, it was as fantastic as fireworks, it was as enjoyable as a child licking a lollypop and it most certainly was as fun as a kid playing with their brand new, shiny, sparkling toys. As I started my inspirational story, all the children were as quiet as mice.
"Bang" goes the creaks of the helpful old UD, crashing up against the side of the crooked loading ramp. I was so thrilled to be finally here, I am at an event (campdrafting) that was made for me. I was as fast as lightning to unload Dapple (a grey mare), she was as sour as a Chinese apple but Itchy (my chestnut gelding) on the other hand was as sweet as a cherry. This year was my year, not the year to be humiliated, I was not going to lose, but do not worry it does all end well. I was as eager as a horse, ready to bolt and win that prize. I remember last year the humiliation written all over my face, I was horrified. I had all but my suit case packed but I was sent packing, I was drowning in sorrow. Finally, I awoke from my thoughts just in time to see cheerful cheerio Wadsy - he was as drunk as a skunk. He filled with happiness when he saw that I had arrived - he started me on camp drafting, the sport of the bush. I finally unloaded the cunning horse and rode him frightenly , he was ready to unload me as we tottered excitedly to our camp with my cousin Jessica - she was as eager as a fart in a bottle.
"All junior competitors in the draft please make your way to the cut out yard!" the mega microphone shouted out into everybody's ears. This was my cue to shine. I suddenly thought will I be humiliated again? My thought bubble was broken, "Contestant number 4, Montana Spurdle please enter the cut out yard!" I was as ready as anything but there was still something that held me back. The judge gave me the nod of satisfaction that I was ready to take the arena on like a cheetah ready to pounce on its pray. I had a big sappy weaner but small and scrawny at the same time - just the perfect beast to give me a win. The clock had started I gave him two side steps then yelled, "Open Gate!" , and that made it official, the chase was at foot. I could not take a breath in; it was as if the horse was doing all the work. "She has made it around the first peg looking towards the second, "I heard called over the speaker, I knew I could do it now. “Around the second peg she goes, you are looking at a future camp drafter.” Just then, I heard "CRACK", I had been cracked of by the judge because the buggered beast had had enough. "Now to announce the junior winners", said the judge. I had given up hope before they had begun announcing. "2nd place goes to .........Montana Spurdle, riding Itchy!" Yay everybody screamed YEEEEEEHAAAAA.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!