Gallipolli

GALLIPOLLI (Anzac War)


The trenches were stained with blood. Men lay on their backs facing the sky blankly. Shots were being fired overhead, the sky was smoky. I shuddered, the scene was all too horrible to describe. Holding the bullet wound on my leg I hopped over and grabbed the gun that lay beside on of my dead comrades. Refilling the cartridges and shoving some in my pocket for later use, I tried to climb out of the trench. A bullet whizzed past my ear nicking the top of it and drawing a thin stream of blood, but I kept going, and once I was on my feet I started to fire. Men were falling around me, but I tried to ignore their cries of pain. Suddenly something hit me hard in the stomach and I staggered back under the impact. I stared down at the welling blood and knew that it was a bullet that had hit me. Someone tried to pull me back into the trench to get me out of danger, but I wasn’t going to give up now. The war wasn’t finished and I planned to see it to the end, and I was determined that at the end we would win. I rushed up, ignoring the dizziness and charged into the enemy, firing shot after shot, stabbing and enemy who got in the way of my bayonet.
As I ran, someone yelled something to me but it was too late. I fell to my knees and crouched in pain. Flashes of red and white were flashing across my eyes. My vision blurry, I tried to crawl, but no movement was there. The only movement was my mind! My thoughts raced through everyone I had ever known. Dad who had died in a logging accident leaving myself and my beautiful mother to have to do all the work on the farm. My best mate Harry who I cradled in my lap as he died from an infected shrapnel wound in his side, and my loveliest thought was Alice. She was my girlfriend before I left for this cursed war. Each night I would lay awake, looking at the stars, picturing her beautiful eyes that used to always look into mine and remember the times we had together.
Why I was here today? To make all of the others proud of me by being brave and being a hero. But now I was incapable of all those things as I was dying now too just like dad and Harry.
Dying, I was not afraid of. Leaving the people I had ever cared about was what hurt. Another jab of pain erupted through my body and I cried out, all thoughts gone but one. Death! The thought was there for only a moment, it went red, then…there was nothing.

THE END

Life was harder than anything we could ever imagine.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!