Freaky Forest

The icy water enclosed my body stunning me for a few seconds, breaking the surface I gasped for air while swimming for the rocky bank that was surrounded by the dark rain forest. I wish I had just listened to mum or things would be different.
We had only been here for a few hours, we had set up our camp right next to a paved footpath that twisted and turned through the dense forest to a waterfall. I had been really desperate to see it. I still remember mums words “Don’t stray from the footpath and don’t get to close to the edge”, “Yes mum, whatever you say” I had yelled back just before disappearing down the path with my camera. I snapped shots of the forest as I sprinted through the undergrowth. When I had finally reached the Waterfall the sun was setting, It had been just perfect for a photo, I had got some pictures of the drop but it wasn't the right angle, “I won’t go far” I had told myself, I had sat the camera on the ground and climbed over a railing that was on the cliff face, that was the last thing that happened before I had fallen, I had been trying to grab for my camera but my fingers slipped from the railing.
I hauled my body from the pool and looked up the 10 meter cliff face, how stupid of me I thought, as if I would be able to climb up that, my camera lenses flashed the remaining sun rays into my face, “Help, Help!’ I screamed hopping that mum would be able to hear me, but there was no reply. Great I thought, I turned around to study the forest looking for a path or something that would lead back up to the top. Walking over to the edge I found a small trail that disappeared into the glum, I had to be back at the camp in 10 minutes before mum would start getting worried. I jumped, a loud screech echoed into the distance. Panic rose in my chest but I fought it down, “I will be fine, I will get back to mum and the camp” I repeated while carefully stepping into the glum.
I had been walking for 5 minutes before I wave of relief hit me, I looked at the slope in front of me again just to check it was real. I started to run, the forest seemed to be getting brighter, finally I reached the top and the end of the path. A small clearing was lit up by a fire, I looked around it. There was a tent beside a paved footpath and a bumpy 4WD track that disappeared into the darkness. A woman was sitting beside the fire looking down the path. “Mum” I screamed running across the clearing, but she didn't move. I got closer and realized that she was tied up, i felt a thump on my head. BLACKNESS …

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!