Manor Of Messages

Oliver is quite a privileged 12 year old boy and by privileged I mean he is the son of the president of the United States of America. Yet Oliver doesn't see it that way, he hates the fact that people are hesitant to speak to him, he has to be driven to school every day in a bullet-proof hummer and followed everywhere by two bodyguards and with no siblings to accompany him Oliver would do anything for a friend.

It’s the fourth of July 2014, the Independence Day celebration that Oliver has been looking forward since last year’s 4th of July fireworks extravaganza at the Pentagon. Only to discover that it has been cancelled due to a bomb disguised as a firework that has been found at a nearby warehouse. “Why can’t we at least see the rest of the fireworks “says Oliver, “no fireworks today Oliver” says Oliver’s mother. “Ugh!” Oliver exclaims and bolts out the door and into the dark corridor of the House. As he runs, Oliver feels a freezing cold gust of wind blow against his ankles, in shock he trips and falls on the floor, as he lays there inspecting his wounds he sees a silver silhouette of a person at the end of the dark hallway. Oliver stares at the figure in silence and fear whilst he tries to stand, but the numbness in his leg won’t allow it.

The person slowly raises his arm and points at Oliver, “who are you and what do you want?” Oliver asks. The mysterious person slowly leans in forward and suddenly he is moving towards Oliver at an incredibly fast pace without even moving his legs, as if he is floating. Oliver tries to get back on his feet but he can barely feel his legs, so he crawls backward away as fast as he can still staring at the person and panting heavily he quickly looks behind him and sees the exist, he soon turns back to the to see nothing, the strange person has vanished.

Oliver gazed at the scene in disbelief, “where did he go?” Oliver asks himself. “Hello there!” says a voice. Oliver swings his head back to find a person smiling at him. “Aah!” Oliver yells as he clambers backward. “Quiet!” whispers the person. Right in front of Oliver stood a boy, no taller than Oliver with brown hair and blue eyes, freakishly pale skin and a ghostly look about him. “Hi I’m Thomas” says the boy. “I’m Oliver” mumbles Oliver, “don’t have to introduce yourself, I know everything about you”, says Thomas. “What do you want Thomas”, “well to be friends of course”, “It gets pretty lonely here, you know with me being dead and all”. It takes no more time for Oliver to realize that Thomas is a…Ghost! After a moment of awkward silence, Thomas finally speaks, “so what do you say?” Oliver thinks, “sure, what harm can it do?”. They both smile, now Oliver finally has a friend.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!