That Night At Rockhedge

Excellence Award in the 'The Write Track 2015' competition

“Start from the beginning, Henrietta.” The woman says. She had greying hair that tied up in a tight bun, a large hooked nose, dead cold eyes and lips that were painted in blood red.
“I was going out with some friends...” I said no louder than the wind blows.
“What do you remember about the night?” She said, looking at me, while I avoided eye contact.
“It was cold, and windy...foggy.” I hear the pen scratch the paper.
“Hmm, yes. Continue...” I swallow hard and breathe deeply.
“We went to Rockhedge.” I shudder at the name.
“Describe.”
“It looked...there is a word that has lost all its meaning.” She tapped her pen in patience. “Haunted.”
I looked at her, her muscles in her face had dropped completely. “And?”
“They all said that they wanted to summon...the spirits.” I said that it was a bad idea. I hated the idea of supernatural happenings.
“No, please.” I had said.
“I know your younger than us, but come on!” My best friend told me.
“No, I'm sorry.” I had said. My friend shrugged and lit the candles with the match. She held hands with the others.
“Spirits come forth.” They had said together. “Show us a sign you're with us.” I watched the candles flare up in horror.
“Guys, please stop!” I had yelled.
“Sprits, we are not afraid of you. We woke you. We are not afraid.” I had frowned. What kind of idiots say that to angry dead spirits?
“Guys...” I had whispered. The flames rose up until they touched the branches to the trees. The wind got heavier, it blew my hair back from my face.
“Is that the best you got?” Someone shouted.
“STOP!” I yelled desperately. Before I could grab hold of anyone, they screamed and disappeared.
“GUYS!” I had screamed.
“Henrietta, there is no such thing as demons or...anything.” My therapist said, bringing me back to reality. “There is no such..”
“There is! I saw it!” She got up and moved to the door.
“I must go, Henrietta. You cannot be helped.” Just before she stepped out side the door, she walked passed the mirror, just in time for me to catch a quick glimpse of flaming red eyes.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!