Snow Globe

3rd in the 'The Write Track 2015' competition

Josh was running as fast as he could, he didn’t dare to look back. “All I did was buy a snow globe,” he thought, “what was wrong with that?” He took a sharp left, desperately trying to lose them. He realized there was no escape, so he climbed up the ladders speedily. There wasn’t any way out now, he was stuck on top of a building waiting to be caught. Suddenly he turned around to see a building quite close to him, it was just about makeable, and so he took the jump. He couldn’t feel anything around him, had he made it?
He woke up wearily, he had no idea where he was, but it looked like a hospital. “Josh, you were lucky you survived, that was quite a big fall you had there.” The voice sounded familiar to Josh, it was his friend, Sam. “You were all over the news” announced Sam, explaining what had happened. It was there, the snow globe that got him into this mess, he really wanted to throw it away, but he didn’t, something forced him not to.
When he was better he went home, putting the snow globe of a tiny replica of Earth in his pocket. It suddenly turned dark, it had just been midday, so he took the snow globe out of his pocket again and surely enough it was light .Then it came to him, this snow globe was magic!
He rushed to tell his mum and dad, but, something deep down in his mind stopped him. An evil thought came into Josh’s mind about what he could do with the globe, the thought wasn’t his, it was ancient, the globe was toying with him, scrambling his brain.
The next few days were uneventful, except something came up on the news, it was about a snow globe vanishing from the Pentagon. They said that if it fell into wrong hands it would be disastrous. It looked just like his. The next day something even stranger happened. In class they were asked to burn different materials. He decided to use the snow globe. It caught the light but it only fried the inside. The next day the TV news stated that a fire had melted the glaciers in Antarctica what could have caused that he thought?
At school the following day Josh took in the snow globe. In the corridor Brad the school bully walked towards him.
“Ay what’s that you got there chump,” Brad asked Josh, “it’s a little, tiny snow globe, ha, ha.”
“No,” Josh exclaimed as Brad threw the snow globe to the ground. Josh heard a crack. The Earth started shaking and Josh fell to the ground and violently hit his head.
He woke up, “it all must’ve been a dream” he thought. He went out and looked at the sky, but it wasn’t the sky, it was a giant, similar in looks, gazing through a crack in the sky, like looking through … A SNOWGLOBE!!!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!