Oh, Bother

I ran as fast as my legs could take me. The shops would close in 5 minutes and I won’t have a present for my friend’s birthday, tomorrow. Finally, the shops came into view. I checked my watch, 2 minutes left. Maybe if I made it there they would give me a little bit of time to do my shopping. When I was in front of the shop, the lights were still on. I ran to the door. I reached for the handle just when it was pushed away by the door opening. A man with a bunch of keys in his hands came out. “Sorry, we are closing now” said the man. “Can I please have at least a few seconds of shopping, it’s urgent!” I asked. “Sorry, but there is nothing I can do for you” said the man. I frowned and walked away. Maybe I can make something for my friend’s birthday. But it would have to be special. So I ran all the way back home, because I would need some time to make something. Once I was home I was puffing so hard I needed to take my asthma inhaler. I had never run so fast in my whole life. When I was in my room I nearly screamed in disappointment when I saw that I was short on art supplies. I remembered that was the other reason I was going to the shops. I looked through all my stuff to see if I had anything I could give my friend but I didn't have anything I wanted to give away. Just then I had the perfect idea. I could just give my friend some birthday money. I asked my mum for some money but she said I had to use my own money. I looked at my purse I had $20.5. I could give my friend $10. Suddenly a thought hit me like a sledge hammer. I remembered I had no card. I couldn't just give my friend some money! I decided I would have to give my friend a late birthday present. While I was walking to my friend’s house I had the worst feeling in my heart. I thought how I would feel if someone came to my party without a present. It’s the most important part! I finally came to my destination. I nervously knocked on the door. When it opened I quickly opened my mouth to explain why I don’t have a present, but my friend interrupted. “Oh, hey!” she shouted. “What are you doing here?” she said. “Um, I’m here for your party” I said confused. “My party’s tomorrow!” she shouted laughing. I stood there gaping. So I went through all that for no reason! “Um, is there a problem?” she asked. I shook my head and walked away. “Oh, bother” I whispered to myself.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!