Question Mark

I woke to feel silk like sand underneath my feet and my long, wavy hair gently tickling my face. The air smelt a bit salty and in the distance I heard the cry of a seagull. I definitely wasn't in my bed at home, I had a feeling I was very far away.

I gently fluttered my eyes open and glanced around. I could now see I was lying on a soft bed of sand with a blanket of crystal clear water lapping at my feet. There were several trees dancing along the horizon and the rising sun was like gold locket. It was so beautiful; I had only seen places like it on TV and in magazines. I slowly sat up and let this amazing sensation wash over me. Even though I had no idea where I was, I felt safe.

As I stood up I noticed I wasn't alone, next to me was a boy about my age sleeping like a log. He had pale skin and golden hair that shimmered in the sunlight. Very slowly he started to wake up too. He opened his eyes and I couldn't help but stare. His eyes were a misty blue with a striking green around the outside; they were so mysterious yet intriguing. I quickly snapped out of my trance when he spoke.

"Who are you?" He asked sleepily.

I thought for a few seconds.

"I'm… um…” I concentrated really hard but not even my name would come to me.

I tried to grasp at anything that seemed remotely familiar but my brain had been wiped of all its memories. I couldn't remember if I lived in a huge mansion in the city or a dainty cottage in the country. I didn't know if I was addicted to the TV or if I studied for 4 hours every night. I couldn't even remember if I went to school.

"I don't know" I told him honestly, "Who are you?"

He knitted his eyebrows together and his lips turned into a frown.

“I don’t know either” He said.

My stomach tied into a knot, I had a feeling that we weren't here for a relaxing weekend at the beach.

This island didn't seem so beautiful now, it had transformed from a lovely dream to a terrifying nightmare. I could just imagine all the creatures hiding behind the rocks and trees, ready to pounce. They had lured us into their trap and now we weren't going to stand a chance.

While I was lost in my daydream the boy had stood up and started walking.

“Where are you going?” I called. He turned around to face me.

“We aren't going to accomplish anything by sitting around all day.” He replied.

So we walked side by side along the beach, we didn't know where we were going but we never looked back.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!