Darkness Or Light

The mouse pricked up its ears, too late, the blackness was upon it. Sharp teeth dug into its sides, then everything, faded. Four big paws ruffed up the earth, as what they call The Darkness, strode away, pride echoing along his puffed out chest. A long, thick, tail lashing out behind him, like a whip ordering everyone into place. His black flank blending in with the shadows living in the forest.

Now he stalked along the crooked shore line. His paws slipping on the rocks that had been licked smooth by the river. He stopped, crouched, and looked over the river bank, he caught sight of a fawn in the middle of the river. The fawn was stuck so he stalked into the open. He was aware of smoke in the air but his focus was on the fawn. He was pitiless as he stepped forward. His claws clung tight to the rocks as the water jostled around him.

The rapid pulled at The Darknesses fur like a game of tug of war, between two keen competitors. It was too strong, he fell. “Thump.” He hit a hard object. His claws dug in again, into flesh, and he climbed up, to find himself on top of a large boulder. The Darkness studied his surroundings and was dumbfounded when he realised he was circled by animals. They all looked at him as though he was meant to deliver a speech. Whiskers twitched and ears pricked. A whisper spread through the crowd “panther…”…”what is he doing?” The panther lunged at the bird in front of him. Before he could lift his hind legs the boulder moved. The panther smashed into the ground. The rhino who’s past identity was a rock, stomped up to the panther and lifted his foot above the panthers head. Before he could go for the kill, the bird jumped in front of him. The big foot stopped and retreated to its partner. Now frustrated the rhino turned and walked away, motioning for the panther to follow. The panther growled at the thought, that he now had a debt to repay.

The rhino stopped, in a clearing filled with animals of different kinds. Something was amiss. Yet the panther was distracted, he licked his lips. A snort filled his ears and the rhino gave a death stare. Before he had time to return it a loud call echoed across the clearing and silence followed. Three large beasts appeared on the edge of the clearing. The panther felt their gaze upon him. He sensed confusion and fear. Before he knew anything more, smoke filled his nose. The way out was behind him. Flames shot up everywhere around him and in the centre of it all was the bird.

He ran forward, even though his head told him otherwise. As he ran, flames sizzled his fur, he grabbed the bird and tossed it out of the fire’s mouth. Then without out a fight, everything went red.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!