Have A Closer Look

Excellence Award in the 'The Write Track 2015' competition

‘Have you ever wondered what is would be like to be as small as a butterfly, or maybe an ant? And have you ever looked at a butterfly and just seen a bug with wings? Well, perhaps you should have another look… and if you still just see a butterfly, have a closer look.’
Adrenaline pumped through her body with force unimaginably fast. Sweat poured down her face and eyes, but she kept on running. She did not stop, in case they caught up her. Her eyes scanned the branch. She was nearly at the end! With no second thought she jumped downwards, towards the ground. The cool, refreshing air, rushed past her and curled itself through her long, wavy, dark brown hair.
The leafy floor crunched beneath her as she landed. Quickly, she jumped up and kept running. She could hear them as they landed swiftly on the ground. Like a heart, their feet thumped against the ground as they ran. One ran up beside her, but they were just a blur through the thick, green leaves. Suddenly behind her was the sound of wings swishing through the air. She quickly glanced behind her right shoulder, but before she could turn her head back she was whisked up in the air like clothes in a washing machine.
“Hey… that’s cheating!” she yelled. Struggling in the rope net.
The blur ran up to the net and looked up at her. “It isn’t by my rules though!” he darted back. His hair was bright orange, and it was all spiky, like thorns.
“Rose… tell him that traps are not allowed!” she said to a blonde haired girl with pink and white butterfly wings.
“Sorry Ivy, but nobody said anything about that.” answered Rose.
“Yeah, you should look where you’re going.” Jay said crossing his arms and smiling.
“Fine… you win, but get me out!” Ivy said.
Jay reached into his pocket and pulled out a piece metal. Then he sliced it through the rope. The net dropped and Ivy untangled herself. She got up and brushed herself off.
“Maybe we are just a little bit better than you?” Jay teased.
“No you’re not! I have won almost all of the games!” Ivy said playfully slapping Jay. Rose ran up to Ivy, and she pressed her arm against hers, as if to say, ‘don’t fight over a game.’
Jay smiled, “Come on girls, let’s go home. I have had enough.”
“I know, how about you two come home with me!” exclaimed Ivy, then she added, “I’ll race you?” Jay and Rose both looked at Ivy with a mischievous smile, and bolted away.
“Hey that’s cheating!” laughed Ivy, as she ran after her friends. Away the three ran into the green plants and feathery ferns.
‘So next time you see a butterfly fly passed, or a tiny creature run over a leaf, stop, and have a closer look. Who knows maybe you might find a tiny person with wings.’








FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!