I Wish

Excellence Award in the 'The Write Track 2015' competition


Drunkenly, I swing my fist out, not totally sure as to what is happening. I grinned before stumbling over a rotten box of lettuce. I feel a dull pain in my stomach as I fly backwards, seeing a cruel face as I flew. I kept going, until I finally shut my eyes. I hit the ground head first, rendering my unconscious.
I slowly opened my eyes, groaning. Everything hurt and the grass around me was irritating my skin. The grass around me. I thought to myself. I was just in an alleyway! I entered a state of shock and panic. What’s happened? I thought. Am I dead? I fully opened my eyes. The sun shone brightly onto me, heating me up. A leaf of grass grew, curling itself to come down to me.
“Grab hold.” I hear. I do as the voice says, but as soon as I get up and look around, I realise that there’s nobody there. Cautiously, I head towards a swing hanging from a large oak tree. As I swung, I noticed a screen on the trunk. It began to play a video of, what looked like me as a young child.
“I wish I had that princess bed!” An infant version of me said.
“I wish I had those gel pens!” A slightly older version of me said.
“I wish I was prettier!” A, once again, slightly older version of me said. And on and on, every time I said “I wish.” Until I said one sentence.
“I wish I knew what was going on…” I muttered before seeing myself on the television, except it wasn’t myself. My eyes were a vibrant shade of blue, my cheekbones were very high, my lips were fuller and redder, my eyebrows were perfect, and my skin was clear. My eyes widened in shock. Confused, I continued with a simpler sentence:
“I wish I had a pet cat.” I looked down as I felt a furry object brush along my legs, I saw a brown and white calico kitten weaving through my legs.
“Awh!” I squealed, kneeling down, stroking the small feline. Lifting the kitten, I struck a look of confusion. Why is this happening? Where am I? I feel the pressure of two fingers pressing on each side of my head, directly on my temples. I fell to the ground, knees giving out, crumpling. I lay motionless in the soft grass, alas, I remained conscious.
The grass slowly morphs from its vibrant green into a dull grey. White lines paint themselves across the grey in three streams, followed by twelve much thicker, but shorter ones. A ball bounces towards the middle of the road, followed by a young boy, no older than five. I gasp and look away, alas, to my amazement, I am not alone. A young man faces me, despair prevalent in his eyes. He says a mere three words before walking away. The words, short they may be, terrifying they remain. “Welcome to Heaven, Alice.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!