Sharps And Flats

It was January 2012 in London and snow covered the ground. A girl called Emma sat staring at her flute. Emma had never thought of herself as a flautist but since her mum insisted that she play, she thought she better give it a try. Emma is fifteen and had only started playing flute two weeks ago. Emma lived in Camden Town, London. She had one friend Jess, who was also fifteen. Emma lived at home with her brother, Sam, who was seventeen. In her usual routine Emma packed up her flute carrying it down the road to the bus stop.?
"Morning" greeted Jess as Emma sat down on the remaining part of the frozen seat under the bus shelter.?
"Hey" replied Emma as she began to yawn.? No sooner had the school day started, it ended. After school Emma had her flute lesson. She waited around outside for ages while her Mum and her teacher talked. They returned with smiles on their faces.? "Emma you have a tremendous talent and I know with the right teaching you could go very far with your flute". Her teacher continued, "There is a music school in New York City. It is called Juilliard. I would highly recommend this school for you as it is one of the best!"
"Mrs Kathy said that if you worked really hard you would be able to audition in a couple of months." her Mum added absolutely thrilled.?
"But wouldn't we have to leave all this behind to move there?" Inquired Emma.?
"Yes. But it would all be worth it don't you think?" Replied her Mum.
Emma knew that if she had such a great talent, and it was good enough to get her to America, then there would be no changing her mother's mind. So all Emma could do was agree.?
Months passed and it was now April. Emma, her mum and Sam were on a plane to New York City. For once in Emma's life she actually felt excited and sad at the same time. Mostly because her best friend wasn't there.?
Emma's audition was a week after arriving and Jess had made a surprise trip to come to see her play. Standing there on the side stage Emma felt a rush of butterflies. It was time. She walked on stage, stated her name and started to play. She was by far the best and you could tell by their expressions that the judges were blown away. As she finished there was a huge applause and Emma started to smile. Then her eyes came across her friend, mum and Sam and her smile became bigger. Emma was accepted into Juilliard and went to live in New York City. She studied hard learning all she could, then went on to teaching the flute for the rest of her life.?
The End

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!