Dawn

I had to see him again. After dark, I summed up my courage to find him. As I stepped through the piling snow, my fingers frozen and breath coming out as mist, I recalled our magical encounter.
It was also an icy night when I unintentionally saw him gleaming in the moonlight. He had the most stunning sapphire eyes, although; they seemed proud but sad at the same time.
There, standing as brilliant as it could possibly be was an alpha male. He was a handsome wolf, white as the soft snow beneath my feet. Normally, one’s reaction would involve lots of screaming but not me. For I knew that he would not harm me. Showing no hesitation I slowly walked towards the grand wolf standing before me. When I was close enough to reach out and touch its silky fur, there was a gunshot noise.
It immediately bared its sharp teeth and after one glance at me, it leapt away into the gloomy forest.
Now I was back at the place where we met. I looked around, desperately hoping I could see him a second time. When I waited and he did not come I decided to enter the woods to look for him. After a few minutes walking into the forest, I regretted it immensely. I helplessly thought, ‘What if I can’t find him and die here all alone?’
Suddenly I heard a rustle in the bushes. Sweat formed on my forehead at the thought of being attacked by a wild beast. I started running for my life, when not even a meter off, I tripped on a branch that fell off a tree. When I heard the creature in the bush coming closer and closer toward, me I shrieked.
I shut my eyes so that I didn’t have to see what kind of brutal monster it was. A few moments later, when I couldn’t feel any painful snaps on my trembling body, I carefully opened my eyes.
I immediately forgot why I was terrified and smiled. In front of me was a wolf; small has a young Shih Tzu. It had soft, ivory fur which camouflaged perfectly in the snow. I knew straight away that it was the alpha male’s kin. “What are you doing here?” I whispered in the silence.
It stared back at me with its pale blue eyes. With shivering arms, I gently picked it up. On its back, was a hint of maroon. Blood. Hairs on my back prickled up. Was it the alpha male’s blood? Did the hunter’s attack? I didn’t have all the answers but I knew one thing. The alpha male wanted me to protect this precious pup. When I look out into the sky that was once caliginous, it was now opening up with a shining sun. Dawn was finally breaking.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!