Water

I take a deep breath the air hits me like a cold shoulder. It is open crisp but at the same time dagger sharp unlike my lungs which are heavy, musty and dry. My arms are getting harder to control but somehow I harness the energy to finally get a grip .I stand before the lake it is crystal clear. It’s calming and gentle like the presence of a holy person. I lift my arms and concentrate. Flow, run and be free I whisper. Suddenly the water in the lake rises; it starts to float in midair I close my eyes and picture a lotus flower .I open my eyes and am exactly that.
My name is Meredith Walsh and I was born with the power to control water. I have a birth mark on my left arm with a picture a single droplet of water.’ Undesirables ‘we were called. We are not supposed to ever practice our power but it is all I have left of my mother. She was a water bender like me .She died when I was five years old, til she died in a fire. I didn’t sink in until I was in black clothes, my face drenched and I was talking to a sorrowful audience, talking about how amazing and beautiful a person my mother was. I keep thinking that maybe I could have saved her but I didn’t...........
Today was an average day I was sitting in class listening to a lecture about the fight for India’s independence, when something caught my eye .I looked out of the window .I yelled .There was a tidal wave heading our way. While my teacher and class was panic stricken I ran outside. A shocking scene was awaiting me. I looked beyond the hills near our school. I saw a dark figure with a black mask conducting the tidal wave.
I lifted myself up into the sky through a jet stream of water and faced my opponent. The masked opponent attacked with his water dragon. I defended with mine. My dragon attacked with a mighty blow but the opponent struck it down. The figure kept hitting me with jets of water. I knew I couldn’t take this much longer. My jet stream dropped and so did I.I hit the ground hard.
I slowly sat up and touched my face. There was something wet and red dripping down my face. ‘Blood’ I whispered. I felt weak and dizzy. The masked figure was edging closer and closer. Was this really how I would perish? Was this really THE END? Then I heard a familiar voice coming from inside my head. ’Remember what I taught you’. ‘Mom’ I whispered. ‘I’ve missed you Meredith’. ‘Now use a jet stream and a spiral blast’.
I stood up bleeding. All the emotions that have been building up, I let it all go. My hands were shaky and my forehead was aching. I jet streamed up and faced my opponent, ready.........



FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!