I Pray For A Miracle

Hi, I'm Brooklyn and I'm a DIPG fighter. Well, I'm eleven and I have a sister, Courtney, who is two years younger than me, so that means she's nine. This is my story and it isn't a fairy tale, this is a reality, to many children, so it's not sugar coated.
I wake up to the sound of birds chirping loudly outside the open window. I rarely heard that sound where I lived in New York City, so I figured we were somewhere else, but where? I look around curiously and see that I'm in a hospital room. I see that I'm hooked up to all these wires and bags with liquid. I don't understand. My mother, Anna is sitting next to me talking on her phone. She sees that I'm awake and says "Hey, Brooklyn!! How are you feeling Sunshine?" "Fine" I reply. "Wait how did we get here?" I say, scratching my long blonde hair. "Remember? Last night you were feeling really sick and we took you to hospital." "Well did they find out what caused it?" I say. She replied with "Yes," which followed a long pause. "The doctors said it was DIPG, Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma," tears dripping down her face. "It's a Tumour in your brain honey." "Hold on," I say, "Isn't a tumour, Cancer?" "Well, yes."
She starts hugging me, still crying and I start crying too.
After a while of hugging and crying, a doctor came in to check on me. He asked how I was doing and I replied with, "Okay, I guess." He gets another bag filled with liquid and hooks me up to it. I decide to start asking about my cancer and whether it was serious or not. I need to know these things If I want to beat it. "I'm so sorry to say, but your Tumour is incurable,” he said. How? I get suddenly scared. I'm stunned.
There are over 7 BILLION people in the world and me being one in that 7 BILLION makes me have cancer? Before the doctor leaves I ask what's going to happen next.
He replied with, “Treatments, we will give you treatments to help you live as much as you can."
A short while later my sister, Courtney and my Dad, Mitchell came in to see me.
Straight away, my sister put a smile on my face. They were carrying flowers and cards and a whole load of other stuff. My dad put them on the chest of drawers next to the hospital bed I was laying in. He said, "These are presents from all of your family and friends. They are so concerned about you." He gave me a hug and kissed me on my head. Courtney was holding a massive Cadbury bar in her hands.
She said, "I saw this at the store and I knew you would want it." She gave me a hug and the Cadbury bar. We hung out for a while until another doctor came in.
That night lying in my hospital bed I pull out my laptop and search DIPG. It comes up with Basic facts, symptoms and diagnosis and DIPG an aggressive brain tumour. I can't take it anymore. I close my laptop and I lay there thinking about it and I keep thinking to myself, ‘I’m not going to let this beat me.'
The next few days were full of Tests, Scans and Doctors. I was booked in for chemotherapy and radiation treatment. Every day I think of when I would run around the garden with my sister and that I'll never be able to again. I think of all my friends who haven't seen me for ages.
As I do time passes, days come and go, sometimes weeks just blend into each other and I'm left wondering where it went. I stay strong and keep fighting this battle. I try to stay positive and happy and keep a brave face. The outlook is grey but Scientist continue to research and look for a cure. One day I know there will be a cure, and I pray for a miracle.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!