Earth

As dawn approaches, a thick swirling mist begins to seep from between the mountains, rising to form a dense golden cloud dangling against a sky painted with watercolor shades of blue, red and gold. Earth awakens, rises and shakes the diamond dew drops from his glossy, black hide as he begins the task that Mother Nature has bestowed upon him. He thunders through his domain; the rumble of his hooves pounding the hollow soil brings the world to life. The ground stirs; the wind moans, and the animals awaken as Earth pulls back the veil of morning dew from the land with every long, engulfing stride.
With his neck arched and powerful muscles flexed he embodies nature’s power, strength and wild beauty. With the sun at his heels Earth calls to the ocean, the pine trees and the mountains in his wild unspoken language. Then, with a flick of his heels he turns and gallops towards the mountains, his long white legs stretching out in large, ground-covering strides.
As he gallops through a narrow green valley the harsh thud of his hooves ringing on the bare stone echo’s off the rocky cliff face above. He nears the end of the valley, the tall cliffs pressing in, “This will be easy” he says to himself boldly as He gathers his powerful muscles and springs into the air, gliding like a Pegasus and landing with the ease of a bird. He scales the cliff face, his tiny goat like hooves, as hard as the rock itself clinging to each crack to heave his sleek, muscled frame upwards. He begins to sweat, the cold morning air biting at his hide and with one last flying leap he reaches the top. Earth pauses, turns and rises on his hind legs emitting a piercing stallion whistle to echo down the green valley before him. The sun peaks from behind its misty cloak turning Earths velvet, black coat into molten gold. Earth drops down on all fours and with one last whinny, and disappears into the bush.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!