Panic Attack

The world around me spun, and everything blurred, until I was inside the glass box.
That suffocating glass box.
Even though somewhere in the back of my mind I knew what was coming, my body still stiffened when the water started trickling in.
I struggled against the straight jacket tying my arms. The straight jacket I wasn't wearing before.
My chest felt constricted, like my lungs were getting smaller and letting in less air.
The need to break free suddenly heightened, and in desperation I rammed my body against the glass; over and over, trying like anything to escape this nightmare.
The ice cold water numbed my legs as it reached my knees, and I screamed in frustration as I hit the glass again, to no avail.
My breaths escalated, fogging the glass as the water continued to rise.
I kept screaming out, even though I knew no one would hear.
The water had soaked through my jacket now, the cold stinging against my skin.
I had to get out.
My reflection in the glass looked back at me, the desperation clear on my face.
The water was up to my neck now and I struggled to keep my head above the dangerous waterline.
Suddenly beyond the glass, I saw something move. It was my mother. She stood, staring at me, her head slightly tilted, like she didn't recognise me.
I tried to talk to her, to scream at her to get me out, but my mouth filled with water.
I took one last breath and submerged myself as the water reached the top of the tank.
My mother took a step forward, hesitantly, and suddenly I was surrounded by so many other faces…my older brother and younger sister. My grandparents, family and friends. Their blank expressions stared at me, like they couldn't work out who I was or what to do.
The pressure of not breathing pounded against my skull like a bass drum at a concert. It felt like my head was going to explode, and I opened my mouth, letting the water flood into my lungs at a rapid speed.
I felt relief, the pressure that was building inside my head was gone and I floated aimlessly, staring back at the people outside.
I focused on my reflection in the glass and noticed I looked as blank as the people surrounding me did.
I leaned my forehead against the glass, accepting my inevitable death.
The glass cracked.
It shattered and collapsed, crashing around me in a flood of glass and water.
I crumbled, my knees hitting the ground as my gasp echoed around the room and I violently coughed up water.
The people around me vanished as I cried out at them to help me.
I leaned forward, the straight jacket restricting my movement.
My body was wracked with sobs as I realised the horrible truth.
I was all alone, once again, a prisoner to my own anxiety.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!