Unaware

Not just the life of one, but the lives of many are mine. Right now, and only now. The sky is filled with planes, many of which are held up by little propellers rotating rapidly in an anticlockwise direction. The table shaking on the crown of my head, shattering the glasses filled with water, flowing over the sides. And, it suddenly slows down, as though a whisper would be a loud scream and that they'll hear us. I sneak through the chairs that have fallen onto there side. My feet mould to the shape of the dark brown hardwood floors in my objective to reach Madison's bedroom. The floor squeaks; and I freeze, squinting my eyes together like it will rewind time. I stretch to grab Danny, my sisters only worn-out teddy that was our mum's favourite. I slowly crawl on my hands and knees though the hallway and back down underneath the table where my family huddles, except one. This has happened before, only once but it lasted 10 or so minutes. My father looks at me, the same face he would have to my mother, Lucy. She was the ever smiling mum who just wanted the best for her children, paying the ultimate price to save us. The planes circling above like a group of bats, just watching and waiting. A fast and high pitched hissing sound, like fireworks sprinkling through the night sky come down near us. Suddenly a thud burns my ear drums. My hands pull together instantly, releasing the force I had held in. Again. Thuds, over and over, all around. I shield my head with my arms trying to protect myself. I look to my left and see Maddie's teddy being hugged ever so tightly. I move over slightly to cover her but I'm too far.

I wake up, beneath the rough edges of red bricks on top of me. I breath in deeply, of what air I can that's not polluted with little bits of dirt. I unravel myself out of the mess and stand on the pile I was used to be under. I look around every way I can, without blinding my eyes from the sun. To my left I realise the city is still, no movement at all. Not even a single flap of a birds wings flying over my head. Nothing. I'm alone, in the city that never sleeps, and I can't share it with anyone. A quiet sound comes from the back of my ear, creeping forward towards my back. Arms grab my waist and secure me tight. They lift me, I scream but no one hears anyway. He covers my eyes, blinding me from head to toe. He dropped me, sat me down and uncovered my eyes. A black knitted mask shaded his face from the light, he pulled it off and said "you have to come with me, otherwise they'll find you". How?, how? "Dad, follow me I've got a spot we can go".

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!