Dark Embrace

Darkness
Pain flared through my body. My chest squeezed tight. My body strained with panic. Muscles clenched, mouth clamped.
Darkness
My mind reached out in its state. I saw a truck-BLACK-I heard horns blaring-BLACK- I saw lights flashing-BLACK-I felt something red trickle down my face-BLACK-I knew the end was coming close-BLACK-I was struggling, flailing-BLACK- I felt stripped.
I was stirred by voices, I could not see. “Oh mother,” I thought. I heard talking yet I could not move. I was the puppet of fate, being toyed around for its pleasure! Bleached white walls towered in on me. Glinting syringes lay on the table. I saw mother through my mind, clutching at my arm. I was stripped of all dignity. My breathing was shallow. My life was haunted with ghostly images of the past. With a dull thud my head drooped.
Driving along that afternoon, beautiful trees draped onto the road. The summer breeze ruffled my hair. Leaves scattered the sunset like shades of peace painted across the horizon. The hum of the engine embraced me, breathed in the sweet scent of the summer sunset; I felt freedom set upon me. I remember the feeling of bathing in a new hope that has become mine.
Then I remember nothing else. As the paramedics cut me out they told me that we had swerved into a tree and that mother had come to no harm but I knew the truth was much darker and sinister. It was a feeling I couldn’t quite grasp. Something had gone wrong and it wasn’t the tree.
My life force was sapping, seeping out of the broken shards of my heart. Life is but a mere strand of silk that can be cut through, I thought. My finger twitched. “I’m afraid there has been no change,” the doctor cut in.
What? No change! Impossible! E=mc2, the square of hypotenuse, every jolly swagman, every good boy deserves fruit! No please don’t cut cord. Please! I’m not active? Please! I screamed in my mind
“Oh I love you mother,” I thought as the cord snapped.
My spirit soared into the air. The feeling was intense. In the last moments of life I saw my mother lying next to me, face deathly pale and I blessed her. Her locks of hair draped over her shoulders. Never would she experience human cruelty ever again.
Today as I soar over the clouds, I see a prestigious house dotted with the bloom of flowers and the flourish of happiness. There stands a slender woman, eyes shining, lips’ parting into a smile. I know I have blessed her. Slowly, I blow a kiss. Her eyes met with the clouds and she blows a kiss back. “You’re always my little angel,” she whispers.
A new light shone in my path. A new meaning and a new hope.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!