New School Captains

NEW SCHOOL CAPTAINS

It was the beginning of a new year at my school. I was in year six. We were in our second week of school when my class teacher informed us that we needed to select new school captains. I thought that I would like to nominate myself for one of the positions. So when the teacher asked “Who would like to be a school captain?” I immediately put my hand up and my name got written on the board. But to be chosen you firstly need to write a speech and then you had to address it to the school.
“Five more minutes” said the teacher. I quickly wrote down the last couple of words to finish my speech. ”Pencils down said the teacher.
It was dinner time and Mum asked “how was school today?” I replied “I had an awesome day. My teacher told the class that if we wanted to be a school captain we had to put up our hands to nominate ourselves then we had to write a speech. I thought I had written a good speech but now I think that it isn’t good after all”. Mum said, “now don’t think like that, have confidence in yourself. You will be fine and I’m sure what you have written is fabulous”.
The day arrived when we were to give our speeches. I had a very sore tummy and it felt like I had a knot inside me. I also felt sick and my legs were shaking and I was sweating. I WAS SO NERVOUS! I was so worried that I was going to say the wrong thing and no one would vote for me. There were eight of us students that were waiting at of the assembly for the school to settle down so we could commence. All the students fell quiet when the principle approached the stand. She introduced us and one by one the students gave their speeches until finally it was my turn. I started to freak out. My throat went dry, my legs got heavy and my stomach was doing somersaults. I thought I was never going to get off my chair, but somehow I managed to walk up to the microphone. The room was really quiet and waiting for me to talk. I took three deep breathes and started to talk. During the speech I made so many mistakes, at one point I stopped talking. One of the students in the audience called out “you can do it, you are doing well”. That was what I needed to get me going again. AT LAST I HAD FINISHED AND BOY WAS I RELIEVED.
The next day the principle tallied the votes. My teacher announced to the class who the two school captains were. Can you believe it, one of them was me. Next time I talk to a large group of people I will remember to be more confident and believe in myself.

By Imogen Willox

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!