Understanding

...and all I had found was an even greater monster in me and a boy with a foolish hope. And then Angus had taken my face in his hands and was looking at my mouth. My blood-soaked, scarred mouth that had had the horrors of the world bleed into it. And he pulled it towards his own.

My head was pounding and my arms were pressed against my sides. I couldn't move them. Or my legs either. Something was wrong. Where was Angus? He'd been kissing me...Angus had been kissing me. And now I was chained. What had happened? What had I done?

The door opened and footsteps sounded softly. I wasn't blindfolded, but I didn't want to open my eyes. From the slight thumping echo of their footsteps, I could tell I was in the cellar. And from how loud they were, I could tell they were coming towards me. Then there was a hand on my cheek and another in my hair, thumbs rubbing hypnotically along my skin. Angus.

"Unchain her."

"Angus if she goes bers-"

"Unchain her!" I'd never heard him this angry. Or this scared. What had I done? I heard a series of metallic clicks and several things clattered to the floor.

"Are you sure you don't want that bit of wo-"

"No. I'll meet you up stairs. I need to talk to Vicky.-"

"She's still sleepi-"

"No, she's not. I'll see you upstairs."

"I'll leave it on the stairs, just in case." Some footsteps-"Turn off the light please."-,the click of a switch and the door closed. I heard him take a breath, but I snuck in before him.

"Whatever I did, I'm so sorry."

"Knew you weren't asleep."

"You seem to be the only one. Why did you turn off the light?" Silence, except for a slight shuffling as he sat down next to me and started to unwind the chains from around my legs.

"Angus, why did you turn off the light?"

"You don't remember what happened, do you?"


"We were kissing... and then I woke up here, chained and with a throbbing head." He was unwinding my waist now and my skin tingled where his fingers met it. I was scared now.

"Angus, why did you turn off the light?"

"So you wouldn't see." He whispered it hoarsely as though it was a fight to get it out.

"See what? Angus, what happened? What did I do?!" The chain clattered to the floor.

"You... you fed. On me." My eyes flew open.Vampire's hearts don't beat but I felt like mine had stopped.

"I-I-I f-fed o-on you. I...are you okay? Oh god. I am so sor-"

"Vicky." I had to get away. I couldn't do it again. I couldn't kill again. I would not kill again. I scrambled up, my feet kicking the chains in my rush. No wonder they'd restrained me. I was a monster. And I needed to be put down.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!