Gallipoli

Our boats silently glide along the sea, with only the moon to guide us. Fog fills the air. We are all anxiously waiting for our little boat to crash into the sandy shoreline. All we can hear is the violent waves crashing against our boat. Suddenly, an amazingly bright light fills the sky and we hear the piercing sound of gun fire as the Turkish are alerted that we are coming.
We all gush out of the boats, running determinedly for the steep hill. The piercing sound of all the men getting shot down is horrifying. I look to my right and see a young man running next to me, his face looking terrified. I see him get shot and hit the ground. He was shot in his stomach. His clothes become red from the blood rushing out. Exhausted, I finally make it to the hill and start to climb it as I take a shot to my left arm.
"Aww!," I groan.
I continue to confidently climb the hill. My entire body is numb. I fall to the ground as blood keeps gushing out.
The pain is electrifying; everything is blurry. All of a sudden I hear a deep voice speak to me,
"Are you all right mate?"
I feel a soft touch grasp my right arm. My sight is back. The man heaves me onto his shoulder and amazingly, he starts to climb up the wild and steep hill. I look at his dirty face. He is pale. His jet blue eyes sparkle against the dull moon. He flicks his long blonde hair out of his face and keeps on climbing. Sweat pours down his straight face. I can tell he is determined to get to the top of the hill. At the top of the hill I hear,
"Here I will take the wounded you just get up the hill."
A young man reaches out his hand as he spoke. The man grasping me tightly nods as he tells me to grab the man’s hand. I reach out my hand. He violently tugs me up.
I see all of the men lying breathless on the ground. Puddles of blood surround them. This is only the start of the war.
How will I survive the rest of this deathly war?

Ruby Kelly
Year 6
Merrivale Primary School

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!