Make It Happen

“I’m sorry, but it looks like you can’t be our Dolphin Trainer”
A sad woman left the office, as I heard these words. I gulped and stepped into the small room.
“You must be Kay” the manager smiled. I took a seat in the cushiony chair.

“Yes, that’s me”

“So, tell me a bit about yourself”

“I have an addiction to Dolphins!”

(1 month later)
I went outside to check the mail box. I pulled out a bunch of bills and flicked through until I spied, in huge letters: ‘Sea World Australia’ was printed on the last one. Ripping it open, I found a letter saying ‘Welcome to your new life-changing job!’.

Stephen, my mentor, introduced me to the dolphins, and I bonded with them in minutes. I thought this would be my dream job.


My first show was about to start, and I was nervous. I was in my wetsuit, and my microphone
was fitted.
“Ya ready?” asked Stephen.

“I think so” I replied shyly. I heard Stephen telling the crowd about me being the new dolphin trainer, and that made me more nervous. But I stood up and ran into the water. I used hand signals telling the dolphins, Barney and Clarissa, to use their tails to glide across the top of the water.
They did as they were told the crowd clapped. I tapped my microphone, smiling.

“Hi everyone! My name’s Kay and I’m new to all this, but I’m having a great time learning. Thanks for coming today and I hope you enjoy the show!” I dived into the water, and signalled for Clancy, Bob and Johnny to flip out of the water. When Johnny came down closest to me, I held onto his dorsal fin and away we went. Stephen and the other trainers performed tricks while I climbed onto Johnny’s back and stood up, waving to the crowd.

When the show finished I was really proud. Apart from when I fell off Johnny and got swept away by Clancy and Clarissa and nearly drowned. Better luck next time….

I didn’t need luck next time. Stephen showed me all sorts of new and crazy tricks and better techniques for refining the show and our dolphin training. Hundreds of people came each day to see the show, and we won a Guinness World Record for the highest dolphin jump. One day Prince William and Princess Kate came all the way from England to see our show! We got to meet them and they were very interested in the welfare of the animals and how the park was run. They chatted with each of the trainers and singled out me for some demonstrations. I really feel so much more confident now than when I first started wide eyed and a little shy.

It just goes to show if you really strive for something you believe in you can make it happen!

This is dedicated to all the hard-working dolphins and trainers who strive for perfection.


FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!