Kingdom Of Ash

Screeches, howls and chirrups filled the air as a young explorer ploughed his way through the thick undergrowth. His murderous, gleaming blade cut through dense jungle plants, cutting them down without mercy. The explorer paused, wiping his sweaty brow.
He continued slashing and bashing at small trees, grass-like plants and ferns. The undergrowth became thicker as he moved along, and began resisting against his sap covered blade. The young man paused to take a breather.
He was about to start slashing again when he realized that there was no more undergrowth to cut. He had stumbled upon an abandoned jungle track, possibly made by animals.
The explorer walked down the archway, cautiously treading along. He kept his sharp blade out, by his side where it can protect him against wild creatures. The track led him up and away into the unknown.
After a few timeless minutes the track ended, leaving the explorer to stare open-mouthed at the scenery before him.
The wind blew through the shells of old, tall buildings. The trees silently swayed around the ash covered kingdom. No animals, just the devouring silence of desolation. The explorer’s curious brown eyes ate it all up with fascination.
The young explorer took down his defenses, sheathing his tired, sappy blade. He softly walked into the dead city, afraid of disturbing the fallen. The abandoned city was burnt black; ashy skeletons littering the once bustling and alive streets.
Sorrow filled the explorers face and crept into his heart when he saw a tiny, delicate skeleton wrapped up in another skeletons arms. He stepped slowly along taking in his surroundings. Frames of ancient vehicles were littered everywhere, some even had skeletons in them.
At the center to the city, stood the tallest building the young explorer had ever seen. It was a gold rectangle of glass, the peak touching the clouds. He smiled, amazed by how rays of sunshine glistened from the tops of the skyscraper.
The explorer observed it closer. He took a sharp, quick breath in. There was something wrong about this glowing building. It wasn’t ashy or black; it looked untouched by fire. He walked up to the rectangular pillar of light, reaching for it with a shaking hand. His palm touched the warm, golden glass. He flinched back in pain. The glass was burning hot.
The explorer looked around him, connecting the dots. Burnt city, littered by skeletons; and an unusual building. His eyes lit up as the puzzle pieces in his mind clicked together. It was a trap. And now it has been set off again, by him.
Tall, heavenly flames licked the sky and filled the air with toxic smoke. The explorer’s brown eyes once fascinated by this place now screamed of fear, as he ran with his thundering heart in his mouth. In the distance, the frightened wild screams of animals filled the atmosphere when he escaped on the trail. Relief poured through him. He was glad he hadn’t died in a Kingdom of Ash.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!