Fallen Memories

I feel the ground beneath me as I run. The tarmac gradually dropping in temperature; the heat of the day escaping it. The dark trees and shrubbery swirl on either side of me as the moonlight illuminates the scene. I hear pounding with very step I make, the noise echoing through the otherwise quiet night. I run for what feels like forever, though perhaps it has been never? I run away, away from everything; myself and chasing wind.

In front of me everything seems flat, and yet I feel myself sinking into the ground, and before I know it I am falling, falling through a dark void. I hear the wind filling my ears. My bright green and blue hair soars above me like a flame and through the wind I hear something in the distance. As I fall I begin to spin and soon the wind feels almost silenced by an ear-splitting undecipherable noise. I see a blurry light rushing towards me as the noise begins to clarify. As the light gets closer I see it is a hand reaching through a door; leading to a candlelit room.

I fumble around for a few moments before grasping the hand; my body rushing forwards through the door. As soon as I enter the room I realize the noise was in fact me screaming and I quickly cover my mouth to stifle it, and yet the scream continues; getting louder than before. I look around the room, only to find a man’s face. As soon as I see it, the scream ceases. The face is so familiar, surely even amnesia could not stop me from remembering it. “You?” I mutter as I look into his piercing green eyes. He looks at me in pity. “Yes.” He says, and as soon as the words leave his lips I fall through the floor; back into the dark pit that seems never-ending.

This time though, it is different – instead of wind I hear a static sound, and in almost no time I am not falling, but hovering and walking through a dark hallway lined with doors. I feel myself drawn to an ornate one on the left. I open it only to hear a loud noise erupting through the static; ceasing it – and then I see him. I cry out as his corpse falls before I am devoured once more by the ground.

The static noise returns, along with yelling and a consistent beeping and yet again I find myself falling. I sob and cry as I fall; so alone. The noises are ever getting louder and clearer until I can make out some of the yelling. “The doctors… If you don’t...” I hit cold grass, everything is quiet. I close my eyes and open them again. “You. You’re awake.” says a man. A wave of recognition passes over me, and then it is gone, leaving me cold, afraid, empty. I look into his piercing greens eyes and whisper, "Who are you?"

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!