Fated Sacrifices

I ground my teeth together as I stared down at the overflowing town square, fixing a hostile stare on the newcomer in the centre. My family and friends spilled onto the streets as far as the eye could see, and everyone was tense and cautious as they beheld the fire spirals and patterns on the person’s dark attire. Two intimidating, bat-like wings arched from slits in the back of his armour, matching the twin horns spiralling from his temples.
Definitely not human, let alone welcoming.
“Where is she?” His deep voice rung out from under his helm, startling the already edgy people. But only one person stepped forward to answer his question.
“What might you be talking about, Dragon Warrior?” My father, and the chief of our small settlement, countered with his hand on the hilt of his sword. The gold hair that matched mine so exactly shone in the mid-morning sun and I imagined he was staring the man down with hard, self-righteous blue eyes.
The snap of the Warrior’s powerful jaw could be heard even from the rooftop I was perched on, and before I could blink, he had the tip of his broad-sword pressed against father’s throat. My temple twitched in anger even as I understood that I’d brought this upon us.
This entire situation had been expected. This dangerous game we were playing…
Apprehension gnawed inside me, urged me to do something to for my people despite my father’s orders. Stay put and stay out of it, he said. Don’t let them know you’re here, he said.
But what would I do?
“Give me the sacrifice!” The horned-man snapped, whirling on the now-silent crowd to rake his intense gaze through the people. His wings unfolded threateningly, twitching ominously as they were raised over the ground.
I made my decision instantly.
“Or what, Warrior?” I disguised my mounting disquiet and anger by breezily stepping up to the edge of the roof, throwing up an air of confidence like my sire as all eyes fell upon me. “You’ll get no sacrifices from us, filth. Be gone.” I winced under his undivided attention and simultaneously prayed that he was too far away to notice my hands shaking. But what I was too far away to notice, was his fleeting grin of victory.
My rough tunic and breeches rustled as I dropped to the sidewalk below before stalking into the circle of attention. The villagers held their breath as I tipped my chin high and mustered all the courage I could arm myself with. Confidence is key.
“No! Get away – “ Father bellowed, but was abruptly cut off as the Dragon Warrior threw him away, limp like a ragdoll.
“Father!” I whipped my head around and took a step towards him, but strong hands caught me around the waist before I could do much more.
“Ah, so you are the sacrifice, this time.” The creature drawled, his predatory sneer mocking me. “Come, human. Your fate is impossible to escape.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!