Fearless

I’ve always been scared of the dark, but I don’t show it. Most people think I’m fearless, but I’m really a big wuss; I put on an act, looking all tough. I wish I could be fearless.
I remember when I was five my big sister and I used to go outside in the dark. I was fine when I was with her. I was fearless. I remember all the fun and cool things her and I used to do, before she ‘grew up’.
The only one who bothers with me is my mum. Most people my age think it’s not cool to talk to your mother. But me, I couldn’t live without her. She’s my bestfriend and the only person who can make me laugh so hard that I end up snorting.
Night has come again and the dark is outside watching. My nightlight keeps guard for me as I fall into a deep sleep and dream. I am fearless.
I wake to my door creaking open. It’s mum telling me to wake up and her jokingly threatening to sit on me if I don’t. As I drag myself out of bed, eyes still half shut, I rise like a zombie coming up from it’s grave.
“Morning sleepy head” said mum as I sit down at the table ready for breakfast. “Soup?” “Why soup for breakfast?” I ask.
“It’s not breakfast, you slept in and now it’s 12:30pm“. laughs mum.
“Really. Do you have to go anywhere today?”
“Yes, I have to meet up with the builders. Do you want to come?” said mum.
“No thanks mum, sounds boring.”
“Okay, but you have to do some jobs around the house for me.”
“Ok.” I said with the biggest frown.
As I eat my lunch mum gets ready to leave. After I say goodbye I walk back to my room, jump into bed and flick the telly on.
I must have fallen asleep because I woke with a start. I turn to look at my clock, 6.10pm. I wander into the hallway. The house is dark and unusually very quiet. That’s odd? Mum is nowhere to be found. I look in my sister’s room. She is sitting there; in the dark in complete silence, just staring!
“Why are you sitting in the dark?” I ask.
Nothing.
“What’s wrong?” I demand.
She starts crying uncontrollably. I don’t know what to do. I want to be fearless, but I’m scared.
“Where’s mum?” I yell.
My sister looks at me for a few seconds “She’s gone.”
“Gone where? When is she coming back?” I shriek.
Right then is when my life changed. The one thing I loved the most in the world is gone.
People say they’re fearless taking big risks that can get them killed. What do they know! - I’m going to have to be fearless for real. This is going to be a huge challenge. It’s going to make me stronger! It has to make me stronger!...because I’m fearless.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!