Violin

Violin

One more time, I think to myself one more time Eliza and then you can stop. I take a deep breath, position my violin and count myself in 1…2…3 and I play until my fingers bleed. Seriously, I played so hard that the skin on my pointer finger broke. I suck on it hoping that I won’t need a band-aid. Because that would get in the way of my playing, and I cannot let that happen. I have an audition in two days for the Royal Australian Performing Arts Academy, and I need to ace it or seven years of money for my tuition will go down the drain. This audition will make or break my music career.

“Eliza”! I hear my mum calling for me, I groan and make my way towards her “what”? I ask as I round the corner and head into the kitchen, “Today’s audition day”! She shrieks excitedly “yeah, I know mum” I say faking boredom ignoring the enormous swarm of bees in my stomach.

“Are you ready?” my mum asks, I take a deep breath and say “I don’t think I can do this Mum”, but I don’t think she heard me, because she just nods.
“Eliza!”, a woman dressed in black calls, “that’s me” I answer quietly “okay honey come with me you’re on next” my breath starts to quicken and my palms are sweating like crazy I think my mum noticed my distress, because she whispers in my ear “you’re going to blow them away Eliza” I merely give a tight nod in response. I follow the lady in black down a series of corridors until we reach a huge curtain. “Okay, when you go on introduce yourself, tell them your name, age, and what you will be playing” she says in a hushed voice “okay”, I whisper back.

I slowly make my way to the red cross that is marked on the middle of the stage. “Hello my name is Eliza, I am 15 years old, and I will be playing Minuet” I state, sounding more confident than I feel. “Whenever you’re ready”, says one of the three judges. I take a deep breath, position my violin, and play. I am playing my heart out for these three strangers. As I play, I notice that all but one of the judges aren’t paying any attention to me. I quickly snap myself out of thought and concentrate on playing my piece to perfection. Once I finish, one of the judges said to me in a monotone voice “you may leave” I nodded and shuffled off the stage.

Once I get off the stage, I am greeted by my crying mother “that was beautiful” she stammered
“thanks mum” I whisper into her shoulder as she pulls me into a tight embrace.

For a week, I wait for my acceptance letter, but it never comes. Five weeks later, I get a letter, saying the thing I had been waiting my whole life for.



FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!