The Flies

I stared at the ceiling, the flies making geometrical triangles. Isosceles, equilateral, scalene. They were free to fly around as they wanted. I let out a long breath, and leapt up suddenly, but fell on the ground due to a sudden cramp in my leg. A few seconds passed and I mustered enough of something to stand up, however, this time not leaping, as though I had come to the decision that that was a bad idea.
“Beth-eth?” I heard my mother calling and echoing from below.
“YES!” I shouted as loud as I could, hoping to wake the neighbours that I so much hated. I heard a thump from next door as though someone had just fallen out of bed.
“Come down here, I want to show you something,” I moved slowly, thinking it was something I did not really care about, as usual. But as I descended the stairs, something was slightly different... maybe because the room was bare. The furniture was piled in a heap in the wilting backyard and my favourite painting was smashed to pieces and slightly sticking up out of the bin.
“We’re staring afresh”, my mother announced, as I gazed around the room with a horrified look of disgust mingled with confusion etched onto my face. But I did not want to start afresh, where was my say in this? It was like the government election all over again, still not being able to vote for a party of all of which I detested. I thought back to those flies, maybe I should have swatted one, it may have made the start of the day a little more tolerable…

The light shone through the trees, trickling through my eye lashes, making my eyes ache, squirming, yet not being able to squirm. The flies…the flies…the inherent buzz. A terrible buzz. A deafening buzz. Yet as I squirmed, it became louder and louder and louder. Hotter, hotter, hotter.

The rain started, then started to pour, and anything I had any hope of salvaging was gone now. “Ah! Beth!” my mother exclaimed. “Where did all our furniture go?”
“Where do you think?” looking sarcastically around the room, I settled my eyes back on those annoying flies.
“Don’t use that tone with me.”
“You threw them out, remember?”
“No…” she trailed off, staring into the distance, a glazed look moving slowly over her eyes.
And then she started to hum to herself, and I just stared at her. And I saw her glance up at the flies on the ceiling, and stare for quite a while. Then, one by one, she swatted each fly. She saw the wet and soggy furniture outside and I saw the recognition in her eyes.
“Oh yes! We’re starting afresh!”
I groaned internally and possibly externally.
And the furniture stayed out there. Everything stayed out there. We lived in a bare house, with bare memories, and bare cupboards.
And I wondered if you could ever, truly, be free.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!