Thank You

Thank you

He takes my pale, unsteady hand in his. It’s warm and soft against my own palm, and his thumb is rubbing calming circles into the back of my hand. It’s raining. I can hear the soft pitter patter of the droplets against the delicate material of the umbrella, the way the wind is pushing leaves that must be scattered on the pavement. They probably came from the trees that bloom in the summertime; their orange blossoms emitting a tender aroma that settles in the air and in your memory. It was a breathtaking sight to witness. One I hadn't for years.

We continue walking, his hand never leaving my own. The afternoon is silent, like a forgotten melody, apart from the soft sleet that was as ubiquitous as ants near a picnic. I smile as his lips touch my cheek in a comfortingly romantic gesture. “We’re here now Adriana” he says to me, with a smile in his voice and tenderness in his heart. His hand leaves mine momentarily, and I freeze as icy fear squeezes my intestines. I command myself to slow my breathing, which has become erratic in the span of five seconds. His hand collects my own. I let out a breath, and the butterflies have fluttered away into oblivion.

We enter what I can only assume to be a building and instantly the delightfully pungent smell of freshly baked bread startles my senses, my inner sentimentalist at ease. Memories of my childhood and family are being played back at me. I can hear every word that comes out of their kind mouths, and feel every hug as we laugh and play while my father tries to real us in to teach us the ‘art’ of bread making. He leads me to a bench where we sit. The wood is rough and I run my fingers along the grooves of the engraved markings that told stories that were generations old. Stories of selfless, daring heroes who would defeat battalions of malevolent beasts. We talk in whispers of things that make us happy, of the things that matter most in life.

I smiled a real smile. I can feel thousands of emotions encompassing my body and my toes start to tingle. I feel feathery and carefree. I thank him for bringing me to such a place. I thank him for everything- for all the little things, and even the big things. I can feel it coming now. It glows with warmth, and it radiates euphoria. I grow tired, and offer a smile in his direction as I lay my head on his shoulder.

“Thank you, my love” I whisper as I slip away.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!