Gallipoli

It was in 1915 in Gallipoli. I was 16 when I, Tom, wanted to go to war. I wanted to represent my country through battle.

My family didn't want me to go because they thought I would change mentally and they were worried about the possibility of me severely getting hurt.

When my parents didn't want me to go, I started a rally for young people being able to go to war. My mates and I contacted everyone we knew and asked them if they would help with the rally and they said yes.

After a few weeks our rally was going international. We had over 100,000 average people wanting to go to war with us. Soon after that the Government decided that only half of the people were able to go to Gallipoli. That's when the challenge started.

Two days after, I got a letter from the Government saying, "You have trials for the next month to make it to the Australian war team. The next day I woke up early to get ready and have a good breakfast. My mum drove me into the Government's training facility. They made us do push-ups, sit-ups, chin-ups and fighting. Finally they took us to the shooting range. When they handed me a machine gun I was scared. I thought I was going to be given a shot gun. I used the machine gun, I nearly shot my mate.





Later that month, they assessed me. The Government said " Sorry mate, you didn't make it." I was very sad at the start because when I first started trials I was so happy because I was getting really fit. I ended up being really lucky because the ones who made it to the team later got killed and tortured by the Turkish soldiers which had double the amount of soldiers then the Australian team.

I think the moral of the story is if things are too good to be true they are probably not the best result for you in the end.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!