New School Blues

Why are they all looking at me? I think as I walk nervously past a group of older teenagers in full school uniform. Maybe there is something behind me. I looked back quickly to see there is nothing behind me but the thick and revolting scent of fumes from the 20 foot long oil trucks slowly moving through the traffic of the city. I started to feel sick, “Hey newbie” called out a boy from the group. He had orange hair, a lot of freckles and wore a smug smile. I was afraid to reply. “Ya gonna speak or what” he said this time with a more aggressive tone of voice. “What do you want?” I replied breathing as heavy as the oil trucks exhaust pipes. They all laughed “Ya scared aren’t Ya? Well you can get used to that cuz this place ain’t somewhere you can just mess around!” said a different boy in the group more seriously. I felt depressed for a moment and thought it can’t be that bad… surely. I quickly snapped back to reality and walked away from the group, now terrified of what was to come in this new environment.
“Right class, today we have a new member of the class who has come a very long way from the Australian outback, meet Ralph”. There were a number of claps from our form class but for some reason no one seemed too happy or excited to meet their new class mate. The teacher addressed everyone to be silent. Our teacher was old but surprisingly energetic, she had curly grey hair that barely reached her forehead and she was so wrinkly you could have mistaken her for an alien. She wore a hot pink hat, blue and white pants and a completely grey shirt. Her name was Claurance Wilmsy but everyone referred to her as Miss Wilmsy. She called the role and read the daily notes and before I knew it form was over. When we were walking to class I got to meet one of my form class mates. He was tall and skinny, had brown hair and dark skin “Hi Ralph” - he said my name as if I weren’t human. “Um…. Hi” I replied nervously, “you’re scared, right?, well I can tell you that I was like that on my first day as well but you get used to it…. I guess” he said humbly “well I’ll see you around, bye”, “bye”. “Oh and my name is Jason” he added quickly “oh ok, bye” I said.
In no time it was the end of the day and I was on the road with my Mum “how was your day hon”. “It was alright” I replied. “Well you’re gonna have to enjoy it because this is our new home and you still have a lot of time left with your new school”. “yep I know mum, I know”.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!