Daddy's Little Girl

This was the first time in my life the woods weren't enchanting and exciting. Instead they snarled and curled at every edge, an encompassing maze that guided me in circles. My breathing was heavy in the morning fog, so opaque it blanketed my vision and all hope of getting out of this alive. A twig snapped behind me, he was getting close. In a new burst of adrenaline my feet cycled forward despite the searing heat rushing through them. Each new trunk and branch I passed, faded as quickly as they came into view, the fog a mask I was grateful for, offering my some respite, but cursed as it had me eternally lost.
The damp carpet that the fallen foliage had provided made my movements slow and painful. I had never liked winter mornings, and this was testament to that. I heard thundering footsteps behind me, quickening my pace I darted in and out of branches and trees, desperate to hide my trail. The chase had begun last night, a man, seeking revenge for an accident I had no control over.
When it sounded like I lost him, I slowed my pace, my body fatigued from the night’s chase. Trudging through what now seemed like mud, I knew I was close to the dam. Insects flocked in the millions, creating an intolerable buzz around my head, making it nearly impossible not to swat them away, but not being discovered was my highest priority.
In the distance he screamed my name, he was far away, but not far enough. Still clothed in my scrubs from last night, and the fog starting to clear, I stood out like a neon sign amongst the trees. Knowing it would soon be easy to find me, I searched for a weapon. Finding only pebbles and twigs, I started north. He voice echoed again, closer this time, I began my sprint around the lake, splashing mud and dirty water up the entirety of my legs.
Low hanging branches scratched at my face like claws and birds screeched and ascended upon my temporary arrival to their nest, making my position clear as day to my pursuer. It wasn't my fault her heart was weak, it wasn't my fault the survival rate was so low, it wasn't my fault she was sick, but all these arguments meant nothing to the man chasing me.
Oblivious to my footing, my ankle jarred on a large branch and sent me tumbling to the earth. A new rush of panic was coursing through my veins, my body smeared with dirt and my ankle sprained, running was useless, it was strategy now. I spotted an opened trunk near me, palming the branch, I pulled myself into its shelter. Silent, I waited. Footsteps now, closer than ever, laboured breathing following in his wake. He made his way past the tree and I took my opportunity. Cracking the branch down, he landed heavily in the mud. Now he had his wish, he was reunited with his daughter once more.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!