Lest We Forget

May 23 1915
Today was amazing. We finally arrived at shore. People shoved and pulled each other like crabs so they can get off the ship first. I didn’t push but people behind pulled me back and pushed me and whoa they are tough. I can’t wait to start fighting though.

June 27 1915
Fighting for my country is so difficult. I thought this would be a beaut journey but it’s bloody hard. I miss sitting on the veranda while dad burnt stuff on the barbie. Staying at this place is making me feel helpless.

August 6 1915
They called a truce. We buried mates and field surgeons helping war mates. I would not want to redo this war otherwise I will be going through painful pain and see my mates die in front of my face again. There’s now a gun-stained sky. No flowers but blood. Feels like I’ll never see Australia again.



August 25 1915
BOOM! A mortar struck the trench today. I couldn’t see the sunlight anymore. Air is very rare underneath the Earth. I dug up but for all that I knew at the time I could’ve been digging downwards. I kept on yelling for help. I wasn’t sure if I’d ever see sunlight again. I started to scream at the top of my lungs for help. No answer. I got some dirt and dropped it, to check which way was down. It went to my left. I started digging upwards, and tried to get as much air as I could. I then saw sun.

January 28 1916
People rejoiced of our return but I couldn’t get my mind off what I’ve done for my country. All that I know is that I’m never going to war again. I will never speak of war again.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!