Night Creature

It's late in the afternoon and the sun is setting over the humble mountains that overlook the small town. I slowly make my way down towards the end of the worn gravel path that leads into the deep forest just past the towns outskirts. Looking back, the sun has set.

I'm walking alone on a small hunting trail in the deep forest. All day I was gathering the things I needed for tonight and I just needed to get to my cottage before it finds me. I must have been distracted because before I knew it I was being forced onto the ground by a unknown creature. My hand started to heat up and power surged through me. I turned my upper body to face my attacker and pressed my hand onto its furry shoulder. It gave a sudden yelp and leapt off of me. As soon as its body left mine I struggled to my legs and limped away from the shocked animal.

After a hurried struggle home I opened my heavy, wooden door and shut it quickly behind me. I made my way towards the bookshelf at the far side of the small living room. Quietly pulling it open I walked through the hole in the wall and entered a backroom with many unusual things placed on shelves on the wornout, wooden walls. I placed my basket on the rickety table which was next to a boiling pot placed over a burning fire. I quickly started to pull everything out of the basket and place them onto the table.

Preparing started as soon as everything was out of the basket. Some where chopped or cut, others were grated or placed in the pot as they were. Banging from outside the cottage door told of the final moments coming, I needed to get this done and fast. Finally as the brew was done I grabbed a glass flask and filled it to the brim with the smoky, maroon liquid. It was now or never.

Opening the secret door I stepped into the living room. It hadn't gotten in yet, that was a good sign. I headed towards the front door, pulling it slowly open and stepping out into the cool night. The brisk breeze was still there from the earlier afternoon. I looked slowly around the moonlit clearing trying to locate the creature but I must've had my back turned to it as I heard it leap towards me. I turned around and it ended up happening in slow motion.

My hand with the glass flask was outstretched towards the flying creature, it seemed to swallow the flask as its mouth closed. I saw it swallow the liquid and it started convulsing, this is it. Under the full moon the creature changed form into a human. I ran upto it and kneeled in front of its face. It looked up into my eyes and they were filled with joy and gratitude. Then it spoke to me, "Thank you sister."

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!